• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import Movies imported from iPhone: wrong capture dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingrid

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 8.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello,
when imported into Lightroom Classic 8.4 directly from the camera roll of my iPhone, some of the movies get a very wrong capture date, e.g. April 13th 2019 when the actual capture date is supposed to be May 16th 2019.

How do I make sure LR doesn't "make up" a wrong capture date?

Thankful if there's someone out there who can help.

Ingrid

One potential problem is that the IOS camera app records the capture date-time in the GMT time zone and Lightroom did not and and maybe still dosn't handle this correctly . So for movies shot on the west coast afer 2PM the capture date in Lightroom now shows as tomorrow since it is after midnight GMT.

But that doesn't explain the 3 day difference that you are reporting. Did you by any chance edit theses movies in the Photos app? Photos makes a new copy of the image/movie when you edit and it could be that it is not handling the capture date correctly for the edited file.

-louie

Hello and thanks for trying to help!
Yes, the different movies are shot with the very same iPhone, and some are correctly dated, some are not. And the difference between the actual date and the LR-made-up-date is quite a bit, like in this case 1 month and 3 days, so the GMT time zone-thing can hardly explain the bug. And I did not edit the movies, either. Hm.

Ingrid

Yes strange there must be something special about those files that hasn't been revealed yet. Unfortunately Lightroom doesn't do a very good job handing video files and metadata so it can be challenging to figure out problems.

You might try using this metadata-viewer plugin. It will show you all the known metadata in the file and in Lightroom. After you install it select the problem video in the Grid and run the plugin. Plug-In Extras -> View Master Image Metadata from either the File menu or the Library Menu. Use the search box to search on "date" to see all the possible dates related to that video.

-louie

Thank you for your reply! I’ll try the plug-in and let you know how it works. However, I’ll be gone for about a week before I’ll get to try it.

Hey again,
the plug-in does work. Thank you! It's good to be able to figure out the real capture dates. However, it is still a mess when I ask LR to order pictures (and videos) in the order of capture time. The videos' real capture date can be more than 2 years ahead (or behind) LR's made-up-capture-date. Very frustrating. Anyway, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back