• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Moved LR 3.6 to Win7 64 Bit and have HTML issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebop

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
6.x
Hi folks,

Very long story short. Needed to move to a new computer so chose Win 7 64bit. Literally have 220-240 HOURS of searching for 64 bit versions, moving, configuring, setting up, add-ins, pug-ins, etc. The two last things I moved were email and Lightroom. Lightroom works, all presets, etc successful, but both LR and Email have a showstopping issue and I think the source of the problem is the same. I am out of ideas to solve this. I am hoping that is I can get this solved in Lightroom, the email solution will be the same or very similar.

I really do use the WEB tab and galleries. I have a number of custom HTML galleries that I use to embed in my pages. Right now I can see the upper left preview, but the main container for MOST of the HTML galleries are empty - blank - nada. As a matter of fact, the ONLY one that displays is Earthy (!?). None of my custom galleries display, but do have the small preview and all settings are there.The same thing is happening to 30% of the HTML emails I receive. Both of these have me beside myself and prevent me from moving to the new computer.

I realize that IE is the HTML rendering engine for Windows. I have tried security settings, etc until blue in the face. I REALLY need help or a pointer to where to find the solution to this, even if there is a cost. It has become a critical need and I need to reach out here for help.

I have time to experiemtn withyou suggestions this weekend, then off on business next week. Would be so nice to leave knowing this has been solved :)

Thanks!

~Bob Ulius

Easy on the screenshots Rob, but I do have 4.3 UPGRADE yet do not want to use it until I know the program and then will upgrade. If I install the demo now, will not have any catalogs, presets, images, templates - no?

Here are shots for now. Will have to understand the 4 options better. And thanks for getting this thread moving for me.

~Bob

lr web-1.jpg

lr web-2.jpg

Thanks for the screen captures. If your presets/templates are in the default location then Lightroom 4 will see them just fine. When you launch Lightroom 4 it will prompt you to upgrade a copy of your LR3 catalog, but you can skip that and just create a new (empty) one for testing purposes. It won't change anything in your LR3 set up. You just need to import a few test photos into the new LR4 catalog and switch to Web to see what it looks like. Then you can delete that catalog and uninstall LR4 as if nothing had happened.

BTW, just happened to go close it and looked at that EARTHY template. It is the Flash version that works, not the HTML. All Flash work, no HTML does. Sorry for the bad information.

~Bob

If you press the Preview in Browser button, does that work?

What a great question Victoria.

Yes it does! It may not look complete, but that could just be settings need tweaking. And I only tied it on one template (will try more when I am awake :) But isn't that interesting. But the browser I tried it in is my default Firefox. Have not tired changing IE to default and seeing what that does. That too, could be interesting information.

Thanks for the lead. Now to see what that means?

~Bob

I think I have it. I think - will be sure when I play more. But I removed the Win 7 IE 9 update in uninstall and now have IE 8. LR and Email now both seems to be working as expected.

Give me a morning to be sure, but if so, one must ask the question where the incompatibility with IE 9 lays in rendering HTML.

Victoria, thanks so much for being here!!!!

~Bob

One thought it did you install LR 3 before Win 7 updated you to IE 9? In my case I installed after IE 9 was [present, in case that makes the difference. And is your Win 78 machine 64 bit Rob?

~Bob

My Win 7 machine is 64 bit. I'd have to guess LR3 was installed first, but I honestly don't know. I never use IE. If you don't need IE 9 then I would let sleeping dogs lie and move forward with out it. If you want to tinker you could try reinstalling IE 9 and see what happens.

Another note. It seems to make a difference if the IE 9 you have installed is 32 or 64 bit. You might check that as well Rob.

I'm starting to learn more and more about this issue :)

~Bob

OK, more info Rob (I'm now learning a ton about this issue). When you uninstall IE 9 in Win 7 64 bit, it leaves behind IE8 32 BIT!! I think 64 bit IE 9 is the issue. You might check to see which you are running. Right click, properties and if its in x86, its 32 bit. I would be very curious.

~Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back