• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • You may have noticed this website was offline on Saturday 22nd September. Our web host suffered what is known as "a perfect storm". Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. As a result of restoring backups, we appear to have lost about 18 hours of posts, but hopefully nothing more. If your post seems to have been affected, please do repost, and we look forward to helping. If you have any questions, you're welcome to use the Contact Webmaster link on the page footer.
  • Lightroom Classic 7.5 and Lightroom CC 1.5 have just gone live, and there's some exciting mobile updates to follow. And the big news... my Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro book has just been released too!

Moved Lightroom to new laptop but...

jakeox

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version 5
Operating System
Windows 10
I recently moved Lightroom from a Windows 10 laptop to a new Windows 10 laptop. I had a standard folder structure and copied my photos and catalog onto an external hard drive then copied the data onto my new laptop.

I thought all had gone OK as the folder structure looked fine and just as it was on the old laptop. I took a photo from my 2018 library in Lightroom, added a watermark and exported it successfully. This was saved in C: /Users /Jake/Pictures/Lightroom/2018 under a new folder named 2018-11-06 and all other previously amended photos in 2018 were present in their date ordered folders.

However, when I imported a photo not previously known to Lightroom and saved it, Lightroom created a new 2018 folder and a new 2018-11-06 folder, but not in the Lightroom folder:
C: /Users /Jake/Pictures/2018/2018-11-06

Of course I could move all the photos from the old 2018 folder into the new 2018 folder but this upsets the folder tree and makes 2018 non-standard to all previous years. Also if I imported photos from previous years and edited them in Lightroom I guess the same would happen and another year folder would be created outside the current Pictures/Lightroom/year structure.

Clearly I've done something wrong but from the above description is it possible to tell me what I missed during the move process and how do I correct it please?

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Welcome to the forum. In the folder panel, you can simply drag the folder "2018-11-06". to the proper 2018 folder under the "Lightroom" folder.
For the future, take a close look at the Import "Destination " panel. There should be a folder highlighted. It is this folder that will receive your new imported images using the defined organization scheme {By Date} and the Date Format scheme selected {2018/2018-11-06}. If the folder 2018 does not exist as a sub folder of the highlighted folder, LR will create it. What you want to do is highlight the folder "Pictures/Lightroom/". to get your imports to follow the previous folder scheme.
Once you have your Import parameters as you wish to have them including a destination folder of "Pictures/Lightroom/", you can create an import preset in the dropdown at the bottom of the Import panel.

jakeox

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
5.x
Welcome to the forum. In the folder panel, you can simply drag the folder "2018-11-06". to the proper 2018 folder under the "Lightroom" folder.
For the future, take a close look at the Import "Destination " panel. There should be a folder highlighted. It is this folder that will receive your new imported images using the defined organization scheme {By Date} and the Date Format scheme selected {2018/2018-11-06}. If the folder 2018 does not exist as a sub folder of the highlighted folder, LR will create it. What you want to do is highlight the folder "Pictures/Lightroom/". to get your imports to follow the previous folder scheme.
Once you have your Import parameters as you wish to have them including a destination folder of "Pictures/Lightroom/", you can create an import preset in the dropdown at the bottom of the Import panel.
Thanks for your speedy reply Cletus. I'll give this a go and report back.