• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Moved Lightroom to a new hard drive; images are fine, but Catalog did not move. Help!

Archer55

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
LR Classic
Operating System
Windows 10
I know that I screwed this up somehow! I read the article on how to move LR to a new computer or hard drive, but somehow I did something wrong. The images migrated just fine but without the changes n the catalog. Is there any fix or do I have to delete the images and start over again?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Do you know where your master catalog file is/was located? Did you move it to the new hard drive along with the master image files?
When you restarted Lightroom, did you open that master catalog file in its new location or old location? All of your previous edits are located in the master catalog file, not in the master images themselves.

Does the catalog that you see show the previous edits but the images are listed as missing? If this is the situation, you need to inform Lightroom of the new location for these master image files.

Did you reimport the moved images? This is the wrong action to take. You will need to start over with a copy of the master catalog file that represents the state of LR before the move and reimport.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Did you get this sorted Archer55?

Archer55

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
My apologies Victoria and Cletus, I have been dealing with the Type A Flu. It knocked me flat on my back for 6 days!! But better now and appreciate your help!!
Cletus, I did reimport the moved images, not the catalog. This is where I made my mistake. So if I have this right, I need to delete these images and then bring the images in using the master catalog. (File--- Import from catalog). Is that correct?

Bill

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
No, you should not need to reimport the images. If you moved the images to a new hard drive, you need to open the catalog from it's new location (assuming you moved it as well) and then you should see your images with an "!" indicating they are missing, then just tell LR where the images are now located. To open the catalog from the new location don't open LR first, instead find the catalog using File Explorer or Finder and just double click on it.

Good luck.
Mickey

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
So if I have this right, I need to delete these images and then bring the images in using the master catalog. (File--- Import from catalog). Is that correct?
Not quite. Just open the master catalog and all of your image edits are contained in it. Because you have relocated the master image files, this master catalog my have outdate pointers (path) to the image files. And it will show these images and folders as missing (with a ! or ? icon). Once you get to that point we can help or you can follow this blog article Lightroom thinks my photos are missing—how do I fix it?