• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

MOVE TO OPERATE FROM EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwentzel

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am currently using LR 6.14 from my internal hard drive. I have full backups separately stored on two external hard drives. My internal hard drive is about 80% full and my laptop seems to be running a lot slower than previously. I would like to remove LR from my internal hard drive and run it permanently from a external hard drive. Where can I find all the instructions to make this change.? Thanks.

I would like to remove LR from my internal hard drive and run it permanently from a external hard drive.
What exactly do you mean by this? Are you talking about the picture files, or just the catalog and previews, or all of them?

You didn't say why your performance is slow except to infer moving LR would fix this. A couple of thoughts:
  • I'd investigate more on why W10 system is slow.
  • If you do moving all of LR to external drive, make sure you have a high speed connection on the external drive.
  • An option also is to keep your catalog on our laptop and move your pictures to the external drive as Jim suggested.

Thanks Paul, I have read that if your internal H D is more than 80% full your laptop can slow down. I am in this position.
I think the suggestion to keep the catalog on the internal H D and all my photos on the external H D is the way to go. Any tips on how to set this up. I have nearly 20 000 photos on my internal H D linked to LR.

Thanks Paul, I have read that if your internal H D is more than 80% full your laptop can slow down. I am in this position.
I think the suggestion to keep the catalog on the internal H D and all my photos on the external H D is the way to go. Any tips on how to set this up. I have nearly 20 000 photos on my internal H D linked to LR.
. Working storage needs at least that 20% of free space . I think 100 GB of free space on the primary drive is desirable.
Simply copy the folders from the C: drive and follow the link that Jim provided.
Lightroom thinks my photos are missing—how do I fix it? | The Lightroom Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back