• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Move Plugins location without reinstalling the plugins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camner

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
John Beardy explains here why he puts his plugins folder in his Dropbox tree so he can keep his plugins up to date on multiple machines simultaneously. That's a great idea!

Is there a way to move the plugins folder to a new location without having to reinstall all the plugins (together with entering all the various serial numbers again)?

Thanks, John… This is a great tip, and I will give it a try.

But, if I can do this video in Terminal, shouldn't there be a preferences file buried in ~/Library somewhere that I can edit with Texted it or BBEdit?

On Mac, you should do "defaults read" and "defaults write" to get the current value of the preferences. While there is a preferences file stored in ~/Library/Preferences, it's not guaranteed to be the most up-to-date version (Mac OS caches application preferences in memory).

That's good to know. Presumably a restart would force MacOS to write out the cached version to the startup drive, allowing one to edit after a restart (and before opening up LR, of course)?

My method of storing the plugins in Dropbox is that I moved the Modules folder to Dropbox and then placed a symbolic link to that folder in the default location of both computers. The advantage of doing this is that the plugins are still considered to be in the default location, so if you have a plugin that comes with an installer, it will install automatically in the Modules folder in Dropbox.

My method of storing the plugins in Dropbox is that I moved the Modules folder to Dropbox and then placed a symbolic link to that folder in the default location of both computers. The advantage of doing this is that the plugins are still considered to be in the default location, so if you have a plugin that comes with an installer, it will install automatically in the Modules folder in Dropbox.
That’s a clever approach. I’ve shied away from symbolic links because I’m afraid that sometime in the future I won’t remember that I’ve done that and then will have a devil of a time troubleshooting, because symbolic links are invisible. So, while I don’t mind mucking around with my system, I try not to do things that I won’t be able later to see what I’ve done. Of course, I write down what I do, but, as always, there’s the issue of being able to find what I’ve written down (there have been times when I’ve been unsuccessful in finding my own notes because the search time I used to find it doesn’t coincide with how I wrote it to begin with!).

I’ve shied away from symbolic links because I’m afraid that sometime in the future I won’t remember that I’ve done that and then will have a devil of a time troubleshooting, because symbolic links are invisible.
Symbolic links are not invisible. They look the same as an alias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back