• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Move LRCC Library to external with symlink in ~/Pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebore

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
The LRCC library has to be in ~/Pictures, but I saw a comment about using a symlink to another location....does this work?

My 2017 iMac only has a 256GB internal and I would do this if it works....to a local external, not a network location

Thanks

Seems to be working....I have turned on Store Smart Previews locally, which I couldn't do before (c80Gb) and they are downloading.

Smart Previews now downloaded and the LRCC Library on the external is now 83GB as expected. All seems to be working well. The external is an SSD so seems plenty fast enough.

Is there anything which could be a problem that I would not be aware of?

Thanks

You need to pay attention to the pictograph below the histogram in the develop module. It will tell you whether the smart preview or the original is being used. Lightroom will use the smart preview for most operations. You will need the original available via the EHD for exports and printing. The EHD does not need to be present unless you are importing new images.

Thanks Cletus, I am not seeing a pictograph under the histogram. Also what is the EHD?

Screenshot 2018-12-17 at 17.12.08.png

Clee's thinking of Classic.

The main potential issue is confusing it if the external drive gets disconnected while LR's open. It's an unsupported and therefore officially untested scenario, but the basic theory isn't inherently dangerous.

Thanks Victoria. Yes I can see disconnection would be a risk. My external is strapped to the back of the iMac stand and I treat it like an internal, but obviously more at risk of disconnection than the internal. I will see how I go....one bad event might be enough to put it back on the internal, depending on how easy it is to recover. I have been impressed so far with how easy it is to re-download library and originals when reconfiguring/reinstalling.

I have been impressed so far with how easy it is to re-download library and originals when reconfiguring/reinstalling.
Yes, that works very well. In that case, the only risk should be to data that hasn't synced up yet, for example, new photos that haven't finished syncing to the cloud. In that scenario, you should still be able to access the originals on the external drive and add them again. It's just a risk to be aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back