• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Move from LR 6 (Macbook) to LrC (W10) issues with relinking my collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

woutervandenelzen

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic Version: 9.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hey everybody,

I need your help :), I have done a lot of Googling and searching this website but could not find my answer as such I wanted to reach out to you.

A short summary of my current situation. I used to have Lightroom 6 on my Macbook and all my orginal pictures are located on my Synology NAS, my catolag was located on my macbook. Recently I switched to a new Windows 10 PC and also made the switche to LrC. I was able to use the information from this site to succesfully move my LR catalog to my new pc, so far so good.

However, I am currently trying to relink all of my photos (and related collections) in my new catalog. However, here is when things are getting messy. I was able to add my Synology NAS as a network location in my Windows PC (same as I did under my MAC) however the path/name of the location has changed, resulting in the fact that LR is no longer able to find my photos.

What you would normally do offcourse is just go to "main/top" folder and just relink the folder. My structure is as follows: a folder per year and for each a seperate folder per event. So in essence I would only have to relink say only my top folders (2011-2020). However, here is where I am getting in trouble. I think I made a rookie mistake years ago when I started with LR. I just added collections and never used the folders structure. As a result I cannot "see"/ relink the above related folders of my collection. I cannot get to the above layered folders of each of my collection to start relinking.

Hope the above makes some sense to someone, I would hate to manually relocate/relink /import 24K pictures. Hoping there is a fix for this. I have added a printscreen which gives an idea on how it currently lookes in my LrC.
#1: I manually added a couple of photos (1+7) who now show up under the folders structure
#2: This shows the "old" location, the right part shows how my network share appears under Windows 10

Attachments

• LrC.png
    LrC.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 140
  • LrC2.png
    LrC2.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 138
Hi, thanks for your quick reply, I am aware of the option " Show Parent Folder". However, as said in the beginning post I mainly use collections and there is no option in collections to go to folder. The printscreen might give you some insights in the current structure.

Hi, thanks for your quick reply, I am aware of the option " Show Parent Folder". However, as said in the beginning post I mainly use collections and there is no option in collections to go to folder. The printscreen might give you some insights in the current structure.
Collections are virtual groupings of images. They do not have a physical location on your disk drive. The image files have a physical location on your disk drive in the folders that you have provided metadata about. Collections are contained completely in the Lightroom Catalog file. They should be present when you opened the master catalog file from the Mac after copying it to the Windows machine.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for you information, I am aware of what are collections are, however I cannot re link my folders. When I moved my catalog to my new computer my NAS wat not yet in my new house (i also moved in the meantime) and as such did not change the master location. Is there are way to change to also change this afterwards?

Hi, thanks for you information, I am aware of what are collections are, however I cannot re link my folders. When I moved my catalog to my new computer my NAS wat not yet in my new house (i also moved in the meantime) and as such did not change the master location. Is there are way to change to also change this afterwards?

Folders have no connection with collections. They are two separate ways to group images.

If your folders in the Folder panel have a “?” Beside them indicating they are missing, then a right click on the “high most” parent folder will let you navigate to the location (NAS) to relink these.
In Windows, volumes are assigned drive letters. In POSIX compliant operating systems like MacOS, this is not needed, Lightroom Classic stored the path to the image wither the drive letter. Lightroom Classic on the Mac can’t resolve the path because of the Windows drive letter. So you need to teach Lightroom where the folder is on your MacOS computer. Your NAS will need to be mounted to do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey Clee, thanks for the information. Somehow I can only see the ? when I open Lightroom, after I subsequently "linked" one folder, I cannot go back and have to restart LR again, but that is ok. Thanks a lot for your help and information!

Hey Clee, thanks for the information. Somehow I can only see the ? when I open Lightroom, after I subsequently "linked" one folder, I cannot go back and have to restart LR again, but that is ok. Thanks a lot for your help and information!
You should not need to restart Lightroom Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back