• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

more sidecar and catalog questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumped

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
So there is a lot out there, and here, on the above. Ive been reading, re-reading and re-re-reading to the point where im possibly more confused than I was before I started. It began from another thread when I mentioned .dng and .cr2 files, convert or not to - another ball of wax itself.... So, if I may, lay out what I understand to be correct for confirmation and some questions. I save all original files externally from local hard drive outside of LR. I currently shoot raw .cr2 files and had been importing them to LR as such and have the "Automatically write changes into XMP" checked in the catalog Metadata settings. QUESTION - Doing such with that setting checked gives me .xmp sidecar files, right?

I have also, after reading, started to import .cr2 files as .dng files, saving the original .cr2 externally and have the same "Automatically write changes into XMP" checked in the catalog Metadata settings. QUESTION - Because i now have that setting checked w/ a .dng file, LR writes to the XMP section of the file and not a xmp sidecar file?

Ive read that metadata refers to develop settings, tags, labels, crops, etc. that are primarily stored in the catalog file. QUESTION - This is the default whether the above setting is checked or not checked, right? Where can I see that / those files?

To make sure I fully understand this and possibly redundant - jpeg, png, tiff and psd and dng files - allow for writing to the xmp section of the file by having the above option checked and proprietary .cr2 and HEIC will get xmp sidecar files when checked?

Some examples of other proprietary raw files besides .cr2, HEIC ?

Confirm: Ive read that all changes to pictures are always recorded to the catalog - yes or no? If yes, when recorded to the catalog, does this imply to a xmp sidecar file or just the catalog?

If saving to a sidecar file, will that picture be able to be opened in PS as is, w/o further changes?

Confused - Under the Catalog Settings window, Metadata, "Automatically write changes into XMP", is this what writes the sidecar file or is this referring to the "into xmp" section of the file?

Are .xmp sidecar files hidden by default? Im on a Mac.

So now that ive probably asked the same question 18 different ways - all this reading as mentioned has led to confusion for me. Additionally some places are written by those much more experienced and I think sometimes some things are taken for granted and maybe not explained very well and im just trying to make sure I fully understand this before getting too deep into it.

Additionally, from the other thread I briefly made reference to dng vs cr2 --- this led to convert or not to - a whole other argument - file check vs no file check - in hind site, at this point, probably a non-issue for me. Still trying to learn that just because i read it doesn't mean I have to try it. Maybe just concentrate on basic workflow.

Finally, this is what id like to accomplish, and my understand, please correct if not - as mentioned, on a Mac and I use time capsule and store originals on external drive. Its my understand(please confirm), that if I write to the xmp portion of a file, those changes are picked up as file changes by time capsule and I get a new back up copy with every change made, right? This seems like a waste of space compared to if I were just writing to a sidecar file and that was the file being backed up and not the whole image file.

What settings should I set to use sidecar files and not back up the picture with every edit made?

Finally, If worried about space, and if I were to keep the settings as is and seeing as I save originals external, Im safe to exclude this LR (picture only directory) from Apple backups and still be safe? I am backing up my catalog in LR AND time capsule.

Thanks all for any help here in getting me straight!

Attached is what I have now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 2.42.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 2.42.50 PM.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 300
Thanks to all who helped me get this straight. Think I have a better understanding now. One of things I was trying to figure out too was the file backup process. As mentioned above, storage is cheap, but I hate to waste space too... As pointed out, I use Time Machine, and as mentioned in the book, when writing to the file it can cause a large file to be included again in the backups. For instance - I looked at 2 files - each one has so far 6 back ups, 4 .dng and 2 .jpg. The 8 .dng's use 172mb and the 4 .jpg 22mb.

Just a real life example of what's mentioned in the book. Thanks all for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back