monitor and prints don't match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Kaplan

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I am using Lightroom 2 with an Epson 22'' printer. I get very uneven results from my printer. Sometimes the result is very close to the image on the monitor. Other times way off. I am not managing my color and am using German Etching paper which is similar to a matte surface. My monitor was just calibrated. My question is what would account for a variance in results from print to print? Any help would be appreciated.. If you wish to respond please email at [email protected]

Peter, it seems like you may have answered your own question when you said "I am not managing my color." The key to consistent results is a color managed workflow. Otherwise the results are pretty much hit and miss. You must calibrate your monitor and profile your printer for each paper you use. I have had excellent results using the ColorMunki, which does both. Even then, the results you get will likely be only close. Remember, the monitor color is transparent, while the print color is reflective.

Have you printed on this paper before? And, if so, have your results been consistent? Every paper has its own characteristics. You need to eliminate as many variables as possible when trying to track down color matching issues. Paper is a big variable. Try printing on a paper that has given you consistent results. Also look carefully at your printer's settings if you have not already done so. These are just a few steps that will help you to better manage your color workflow.

Good luck,

--Ken

Hi Peter, welcome aboard.

If you want to be notified of replies, go to Thread Tools dropdown on the lower menubar, and choose Subscribe to this Thread. You can set the email timings under User CP.

mirror on the wall

Thanks all for your thoughts. I'll get back to you with results.

On another front- I have already asked Victoria this question, but I would like to repeat it to see whether anyone might have an answer to it. I am planning to get another monitor so that I can work on LR and have the new monitor show the palettes. Victoria tells me that I will only get a "mirror" of LR on the new monitor. Does anyone know of a way to show ONLY the palettes? I would think their must be away to do this as she tells me it can be done with Aperture (booo) Any thoughts would be most helpful.

You're second-guessing The Queen herself?

There's no way to do this. The closest you can come, if you have two separate displays, is to widen the Lightroom window enough that one panel is on the other monitor.

Lightroom does have multiple ways of using multiple monitors natively, but not in the way you describe. If this is important to you, I'd suggest filing a feature request; there is a link to the form in the blue bar at the top.

Bad Guru! Go to your room, without dessert.

Seriously Peter, Mark and Victoria are right, widening the Lr window across 2 or 3 horizontally arranged monitors is the only way to do it at present. 'Tear off' palettes, a la Photoshop, have been requested since Beta 1. Add your voice to the crowd by filing an Official Feature Request.

Am I right in thinking the iMac that Peter's using is limited to mirrored second display anyway? This page would appear to suggest that's the case. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2682

(Oh, and it wasn't me who said anything about Aperture :D)

I don't see details of Peter's hardware in this thread, but I think that's only true for very old iMacs, probably older than Peter would be using for photo processing. I don't have immediate access to an iMac to confirm, however.

September 2''8 page for flat panel iMac appears to say the same, but I'd love to hear otherwise, because I can think of plenty of uses..... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2996

Scratch that, sounds like the latest ones with mini-DVI connections may allow extended displays rather than mirrored, but the old VGA connections don't.

Ooooooh, that is interesting news! Thanks Mark!

Discount

Victoria- If I decide to get your book -how do I use the discount code?
Also sounds to me from M.Sirota that I can use two monitors with one just for palettes. No there yet, but good to know.

Peter

Thanks to all. I sent a feature request. FYI I have an Imac with an in camera module on top. It's pretty new. Probably last year or so. Thanks again

Peter

... Also sounds to me from M.Sirota that I can use two monitors with one just for palettes. No there yet, but good to know.

Peter
Peter, read again what Mark wrote on this. I am afraid it won't be possible! :(
And excuse me for my Lens Cap joke but we work hard to find working solutions... ;)
Mark Sirota;38'82 said:
You're second-guessing The Queen herself?

There's no way to do this. The closest you can come, if you have two separate displays, is to widen the Lightroom window enough that one panel is on the other monitor.

Lightroom does have multiple ways of using multiple monitors natively, but not in the way you describe. If this is important to you, I'd suggest filing a feature request; there is a link to the form in the blue bar at the top.

Victoria- If I decide to get your book -how do I use the discount code?
Press Add to cart. In the cart that appears, enter the Discount Code in the Discount Code box. Press one of the checkout buttons to pay.

Also sounds to me from M.Sirota that I can use two monitors with one just for palettes. No there yet, but good to know.
No, Mark's saying that it is possible on the latest iMac's to connect a second monitor and use it as an extended display (not mirrored) however your wish to put the panels on the other monitor (as per Photoshop) is not possible, and probably not likely for a good while, if ever.

Lightroom does have some dual display capabilities, but they are simply to show a Grid, Compare, Survey, Loupe or Slideshow view on the other monitor. But you cannot disconnect the panels.

Back to the colour problem. As others have suggested, have you got a proper profile for the paper-ink combination. I have recently bought a printer profiler and now get much closer results. Sometimes the prints are a bit off but most of the time they are as close as you'll get. I think that the Epson printer drivers aren't the best and can cause problems.

printer profiles Andrew

Andrew- Where do you find printer profiles other than through the manufacturer? It is sort of counter intuitive to look for profiles other than those made by the printer company. But I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks

Peter,

You can download profiles for your German Etching from Hahnemuhle's website. There will also be some instructions for driver settings.

Printer manufacturers only provide profiles for their branded papers, if you want to use a third-party paper you'll need to get it from the paper manufacturer or have a custom profile made by a profiling service. A third option is to buy the equipment and make your own, but that can get pricey in a hurry...

Bill

profiles

Thanks. I already have the Hahenmuhle profile for my paper and I have the profile for my printer, but I was under the impression I might get a "better" printer profile from another source. Are those what you are referring to?
I appreciate your input.....

Yep, that's it. Andrew Rodney makes profiles, so does Eric Chan and there's also Cathy's Profiles. You can Google them and get websites. There are more services but those are the first to come to mind.

The advantage of a custom profile is that it's made from a target you print on your printer so it eliminates any unit-to-unit variances you get from a generic profile made from another printer. The downside is that they cost anywhere from $25-$1'' each, so if you print on a lot of different papers you can eat up a wad of cash in a hurry....

Bill

Scott_ Thanks for all your suggestions. But- I'm still having problems with the output of prints using my Epson 22''. I am using a photo that is by its nature a very neutral color composition. Mainly Grey,Whites and browns. My monitor has been calibrated and to look at the screen I see those colors (very neutral) I have tried getting closer to the original by selecting either my German Etching paper profile,using an epson profile for watercolor paper ,tried printing the same photograph through Photoshop and all the results appear to be the same. The prints are + yellow by about a stop. Every print has this colorization- So I'm wondering whether the subtleties may be too much for this printer. I will be calling Epson shortly to see what they suggest, but this is very frustrating. Do you possibly have any ideas as to the cause of this problem? As usual, Thanks for the effort.
Peter

So are you saying you get the same miscolouring from PS as you do from LR Peter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back