• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

Modifying a watermark for just the current use

brendatharp

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic version: 8.3.1
Operating System
macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I have a few watermarks (text) and sometimes when I am in the Export Dialog box, I decide I should check the watermark I've chosed to be sure it's not too small or to transparent. If I make changes to the watermark I had selected, how to I apply those to the current export but NOT change the existing preset/watermark? Save asks you to creat a new preset name and therefore it creates a new preset. After doing this for some time, I had way too many watermarks! I deleted most of them, and then went to 'update preset' but then I am constantly having to change the parameters of those and re-update them in order to use. Surely there has to be a way to modify it and use it 'just this once' without updating it, or creating a new preset based on your current changes? anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks.

Conrad Chavez

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
This has been a long-time annoyance with Lightroom: There's no way to apply a quick, single-use watermark. If you make any edit to the watermark settings, Lightroom refuses to let you apply them unless you go through the time and trouble of saving it as a named watermark preset.

The workaround I use is to create a “sacrificial” watermark preset that I can always use for ad hoc (one-time) watermarks. It serves as the named watermark that single-use changes can be saved to. My single-use watermark preset is named “Working” but of course you can name yours whatever you want. The attached animation shows how it works.

Conrad-Chavez--Lightroom-Working-watermark.gif

However, even this workaround involves too many points and clicks in the watermark presets menu. It’s best to streamline it further by taking full advantage of keyboard shortcuts:
  1. When the Watermark Editor opens, click the menu of presets and leave it open.
  2. Type the first letter of your single-use watermark preset. I type “W” to directly select my “Working” preset. Of course, this works best if no other preset has the same first letter.
  3. Press Enter or Return. This applies the preset you selected using type-ahead.
  4. Change the watermark settings you need to change. But you won't be able to use the changes without saving the current preset, so you need to do the next three steps…
  5. Click the menu of presets leave it open again.
  6. Press the End key. (On smaller keyboards, press Fn+right arrow key. Or typ “upd”.) What this does is directly select the last item in the menu, Update Preset [name], saving you the trouble of mousing accurately to that command.
  7. Press Enter or Return to finish applying the Update Preset command.
  8. Press Enter or Return again to apply the Done button without having to mouse over and click it.
When you get the steps into your muscle memory, they can go by quickly: Click the presets menu, type-ahead to select single-use preset name, press Enter, make watermark changes, click presets menu, press End key, press Enter, press Enter.

Even that's a little kludgy. But it might be the best we can do until Adobe decides to update the Watermark Editor. I don’t think they've changed it in several versions.

brendatharp

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Thank you Conrad for your extensive explanation and ideas for a workaround. A 'working' preset is a great idea, at least that way it doesn't matter what it is, as it will be changed the next time. This solve creating presets galore and having to then delete them when your list becomes unmanageable! But I do agree, LR has never made this part very user-friendly, has it?! Appreciate the reply to my request! Best to you.