• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Mobile Sync after restoring catalog from backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan H

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
After noticing I always got a warning about still syncing one file when quitting Lightroom on a Mac I decided to remove all photos in the All Synced Photographs folder. Big mistake I realized and so restored my catalog from a backup. I have unsynced all collections and deleted all photos on my iPhone, although the original collection names remain.

When I try to re-enable syncing I get the message about may be the wrong catalog and go to mobile preferences and select Delete all Data. After this it says I need a restart (I assume of just Lightroom??) and it does that. Then I try again to enable syncing and again get the same message. I have logged out of my account on my iPhone and back in but that makes no difference. What to do now? I have read a number of the Adobe help files and other posts and feel I may be dangerously close to losing critical information and may have to give up the mobile sync.

You can only sync to one catalog at a time. Changing catalogs results in LRMobile removing images from the previous catalog from all of your mobile devices and adding images from the new catalog sync'd collections. Assuming that you sync to your "master" catalog, and back up of that catalog file constitutes a different catalog in regards to LR Mobile. Understanding this you can go ahead and sync LR Mobile to this different catalog file. What will happens is that the Old images will be replaced by new copies of the same images.

Thanks for replying. I want to continue using the restored catalog as my master catalog. The trouble is I can't turn on overall sync function (menu under my name in upper left corner) because it sends me to Preferences to Delete all Data and restart and after doing that I again get the same message trying to turn on sync. I seem to be stuck in an endless circle of deleting and restarting. Something else, which I must be missing, needs to be done.

Finally found an answer by inference from another discussion. I needed to delete Sync.irdata which was deep within my user Library under Caches/Adobe/Lightroom. Sync now works.

Hi,
I have the same problem, I get the same message when I try to unpause the sync in the top left hand corner.
I have followed the instructions, on gone file - preference -mobile - delete all.
The gone to Light room on the web and there are no images there.
In the catalog section in the top left it says 200 synced photos, but there is nothing on Lightroom web or my phone Lightroom mobile.

I had to have a pc rebuild and so used a back up catalog to get everything going again.

In another thread it said the same about deleting sync.irdata, but I cant find the file on my pc.

I guess I still need to do something, just not too sure what ? :)

Cheers for any help or advice, Alex

I have followed the instructions, on gone file - preference -mobile - delete all.

When you go to Delete All Data, it should send you to the website to delete them. Did you do that?

Hi thanks for getting back to me.

Yes it did point me to delete to Lightroom mobile to delete.
I have checked and there are no images there, but I have not deleted anything, but there are no images.
Do I need to do anything else there?
Thanks for your help.

Follow the instructions to Delete All Data on the web, as that clears everything and tells the catalog to reset sync data too. So go to Lightroom.adobe.com, click the LR icon top left, go to Account Info in the menu and then hit the Delete Lightroom catalog button. Then reopen LR on the desktop and see how you're fixed.

Whey hey, that worked :)

Funny I was sure that is what I did the other day!
But I must have not followed the instructions.....but thank you :)

Victoria,

I had a similar 'Non-syncing' LR Mobile issue and did as you suggested above and then reopened LR on my Macbook. Now, my LR Mobile iPhone app has no images, none are being added and some are missing from the LR Mobile Collection in my desktop app. Admittedly, those images were missing from the desktop Macbook app before I deleted the catalog from my online Adobe account. I am unsure what to do now and fear I have created a bigger mess. Help!

Randy

Deleting the catalog from the cloud will have wiped the cloud and reset the mobile apps to their defaults Randy. Everything that had downloaded to the desktop will still be safely on the desktop. If there were some photos that were added in Lightroom mobile but hadn't downloaded to the desktop yet, you'll need to add them back into the mobile app from your mobile camera roll and let them upload again.

Thanks for the quick response. I have managed to get the images that ARE in my LR Mobile collection sets (on my Macbook) to sync with the Mobile app on my phone - by selecting the box next to their name and reactivating (?) their sync status, as indicated by the little horizontal double arrow icon? So, I have some of them back and in sync between the two devices. I am frustrated as to where the rest of them have gone? I have a folder called Lightroom listed above them in the menu, and it shows 420 images. It used to say over 600, I believe - all of which were what synced with LR Mobile, as I understand it.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 12.42.48 PM.png

I realize I have a mess here and am trying to resolve it. I believe this is a result of copying all my images to one external drive and attempting to feed Lightroom from that versus my internal HD. The resulting process of selecting the proper catalog to open from (from a previous backup), moving it and the Lightroom folder to Dropbox to create a quasi-backup situation for it, losing all my smart previews that had been already created and now this issue has me overwhelmed, to say the least. Any guidance yourself or anyone here can provide will be appreciated.

Put simply, I now have all my images on one drive, inside one main folder, and I want LR to feed itself from that. When not plugged in, I want LR to be able to supply me with the Smart Previews as I don't need to originals very often. Somehow I have dug myself a hole and can't seem to get out of it.

Thanks in advance.
Randy

I have a folder called Lightroom listed above them in the menu, and it shows 420 images. It used to say over 600, I believe - all of which were what synced with LR Mobile, as I understand it.
Anything that was downloaded to your desktop hard drive will still be on your desktop hard drive. The Delete All Data won't have deleted any of those.

I believe this is a result of copying all my images to one external drive and attempting to feed Lightroom from that versus my internal HD.
Quite possibly, yes. How did you go about that? And do you still have the files on your internal HD too?

The resulting process of selecting the proper catalog to open from (from a previous backup)
Hang on, that's a new bit of info again. When did this happen? Do you still have the previous catalog that you were using, before you opened a backup? That might explain where the missing 420/600 images are.

Put simply, I now have all my images on one drive, inside one main folder, and I want LR to feed itself from that. When not plugged in, I want LR to be able to supply me with the Smart Previews as I don't need to originals very often.
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable scenario. So the catalog's in Dropbox on your internal drive? And the photos are on an external drive now?

Anything that was downloaded to your desktop hard drive will still be on your desktop hard drive. The Delete All Data won't have deleted any of those.

Good. That is what I'm paranoid of - losing images that I cannot replace.

Quite possibly, yes. How did you go about that? And do you still have the files on your internal HD too?

I have been moving images off my internal hard drive (IHD) for quite some time, to recover storage space on the IHD (a 750gb SSD in a Macbook pro). LR had not seen the images I had removed from my IHD until recently. The EHD I had been copying and backing up to has started to show signs of failing, so I bought 2 new WD 2TB EHD's, one to be the main and one a backup. I copied the entire contents of my existing EHD to the new WD model (after letting disk utility format it to exFAT). This is where the trouble started when trying to get LR to "see" and feed itself from the new WD EHD. I hope that makes sense.

I also use Goodsync to provide a backup copy of my Dropbox folder (in its entirety) to the same external hard drive (EHD). So, LR has been reading images from my IHD, now I want it to NOT read from my IHD and to read them all from my EHD - to include the Dropbox images that were copied there (almost all work-related images that are the historical reference to projects) and the assortment of images it has not seen (mostly personal / travel photos) that most likely will get edited at some point, when my self-employment status allows for some actual fun - rare for sure. The Dropbox files are still on my IHD at this point. I planned to keep them there so that Dropbox and continue to sync those folders to its servers. I will run a backup regularly to feed them to the EHD and then let LR see or find them - if that is necessary?

Hang on, that's a new bit of info again. When did this happen? Do you still have the previous catalog that you were using, before you opened a backup? That might explain where the missing 420/600 images are.

I copied an older backup .lrcat file to my main Lightroom folder, hoping to get back to a better foundation. I did this after closing LR and moving the current .lrcat file out and renaming it. (I still have that one). I believe I saw that process in one of your posts, but to be honest, I've been researching this so much that I'm in "paralysis by analysis" mode at this point. I've had to step away for a day or two to get some clarity. I'm not sure I have clarity, however, I do need to get this under control.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable scenario. So the catalog's in Dropbox on your internal drive? And the photos are on an external drive now?

Yes, the current .lrcat file is now residing in Dropbox on my IHD. I have all my images in folders on my EHD and LR knows where almost all of them are at this point, I think? I am not sure I need smart previews of all my images, except for the fact that I may need access to them when my hard drive is not with me (rare, but it could happen I guess) Having smart previews of over 140,000 images may not be the smartest thing as I would guess the Smart Preview file would be huge and also take away from my internal storage issue?
BTW, I found LR when I needed to replace Google's Picasa as an image management software - Google has killed that software. I have learned to love the editing power of LR but am unsure as to whether I need it to manage ALL of my photos, particularly the 100,000+ historical project images. I'd love to hear your opinion and perhaps should hire you to review my current fiasco.
Thanks again for your interest and help. I really appreciate it.
Randy

I am not sure I need smart previews of all my images, except for the fact that I may need access to them when my hard drive is not with me (rare, but it could happen I guess)
Yes, it'll take up a fair bit of space. You might just choose to keep smart previews of your most recent and best photos, since they're the ones you're most likely to want to access.

unsure as to whether I need it to manage ALL of my photos, particularly the 100,000+ historical project images.
I would suggest using it to manage everything you're going to keep. If you don't need to manage it, it's time to delete it. 100k is not big in terms of LR catalogs.

Very well - I will continue to manage ALL my images in LR, once I get my mess cleaned up. Until then, I am treading lightly so as to not make it any worse. Smart previews seem like the right thing to do, despite the size of the file they create. If I were traveling or away from my main external drive, then I coudl at least have access to my project's historical images - either for editing (rare) or emails, reference, etc (more probable).

IF the folder I have labeled smart previews is going to grow to 50+gb, though, that in itself creates another storage problem with my internal hard drive. I will have to see how much room I actually have to spare and make a decision. At minimum, Smart Previews for images that I'm likely to edit or modify in some way makes good sense. IF I limit the Smart Previews to those files, I would have to presume the Smart Preview file itself would be much smaller.

Continued thanks to you and your community for the diligence and attention to my LR issue(s).
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back