• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Missing User Templates in print

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic version 9.2
Operating System
Windows 10
Since the last upgrade a number of presets have vanished.; these included some develop presets, "edit in" links to 3rd party programs but most concerning is the loss of my User Print Templates. I am using windows 10 (most of the threads on this seem to be in Mac). I have looked in the Lightroom Settings/Print Templates/User Templates folder and there is nothing there. I have opened both other catalogs and previous back up catalogs and again nothing. Preferences are ticked to store presets with the catalog.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Thanks Johan, but I am pretty sure i did tick the preferences before. One of the issues is that the catalogues from last year are all automatically upgraded before I can open them, so the issue may be due to this.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Preferences are stored globally, they are not specific to a catalog. A new LR version can change the preference file (to add room for new options/settings) but that has nothing to do with the catalog upgrade.
Do you have a backup of the preference file (stored in the folder %appdata%\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences) before the LR upgrade?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Thanks Johan, but I am pretty sure i did tick the preferences before. One of the issues is that the catalogues from last year are all automatically upgraded before I can open them, so the issue may be due to this.
Catalogs are not automatically upgraded. When Lightroom encounters an old catalog, it asks you whether you want to upgrade it or open another catalog.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Phillippe; thank you. this is fantastic. and perhaps useful for other people!
I went exploring in the AppData Directory under Adobe for Local, LocalLow and Roaming. It is under Roaming where I found templates and presets stretching back to version 5 in 2013!
The exact location i found these in was: Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Lightroom. There are then a whole lot of sub directories with lots of presets and templates I have "lost" over the years!
Thank you again.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
The exact location i found these in was: Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Lightroom. There are then a whole lot of sub directories with lots of presets and templates I have "lost" over the years!
That's the default location on Windows for all the various preset types (but not Develop Presets now). If you uncheck that "Store Presets with this catalog" option, Lightroom would automatically find and use any of the presets in that default location.

Unless you have a specific requirement (e.g. using different catalogs and you want different presets with each, or you have all your Lightroom files on an external hard drive which you use to switch between different systems) I would always advise leaving that setting unchecked.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Thanks Jim. That then clarifies things a bit further. Although I back up the catalogue frequently, sometimes the catalogue and the back up have failed and I have gone to a previous back up. To distinguich this I have occasionally changed the catalogue name slightly. Thank you - a light dawns.