• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Missing thousands of photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

rclanger

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Operating System: Windows 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Classic demo

The LR Classic installation converted and created a new catalog but really messed it up.

1. From the 13000 pictures, only 6000 were converted.
2. I have removed from disk and LR about 1000 pictures. They are all in the converted catalog.

There are other problems but these are show stoppers.

Is there a solution?

Would v6 be a better choice?

As a staring point, Lightroom and its Catalogue do not contain your images, only a "pointer" to them. If you have removed them from disk, they are no longer available to Lightroom. If they are still in your Wastebasket you need to recover them from there.

Dave

Yes, you are correct about the Catalog being a pointer. And I realize it. But you completely missed the most important problem.

There are 13,000 photographs in the LR 5.7 catalog. When the conversion completed for the Classic upgrade there were about 7,000. This is, in my opinion, a deal breaker.

How do I fix this? Can I try to convert again? If so, how?

Can I try to convert again? If so, how?
Yes. Simply open the 5.7 catalogue from LR Classic. It will do the conversion again. Make sure that the 5.7 catalogue is the one you think it is. It sounds like you converted an old one.

Yes. Simply open the 5.7 catalogue from LR Classic. It will do the conversion again. Make sure that the 5.7 catalogue is the one you think it is. It sounds like you converted an old one.
No, that will make sure I can't go back to version 5x if it is necessary. How about deleting the catalog-2 and starting over?

No, that will make sure I can't go back to version 5x if it is necessary. How about deleting the catalog-2 and starting over?

You can always go back. A catalog upgrade creates a new copy. The old catalog remains untouched.

I was able to figure out what happened. Your comments guided me to the problem. I had 2 catalogs, one much smaller than the other. Made sure I was using the right one after renaming the initial incorrect catalog.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back