• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Missing photos within selected only

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrJohan

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Is there a way to find missing photos from within selected photos only.

Of course I can assign a particular keyword to selected photos and then find missing photos from all photos and assign another keyword to all missing. Finally I can find all photos having both of these keywords, but a simpler and faster way - if existing - should be very much preferred.

Not without a plugin. I agree this isn't great.

My Search and Replace plugin's Worfklow Filters command lets you do this (without buying):
Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 12.42.46.png

It may or may not be of use, but when you have a number of images selected there is a readout below the Histogram of the status of that selection. Specifically it tells you how many originals without smart previews are online, how many originals with smart previews are online, how many smart previews only are available (i.e. the original is offline/missing), and how many originals are offline/missing and do not have smart previews available. Clicking on the latter entry will produce a list of the missing files, but sadly does not populate the grid with them....it's just a list of filenames and paths.

As I said, it may be of use....equally it may not be.

Thank you, Jim. You know how long and how much I've been using LR and yet I've never noticed those numbers!

Well, they're not exactly blindingly obvious!

Thank you, Jim. You know how long and how much I've been using LR and yet I've never noticed those numbers!
They only show up when there is more than one image selected. I've only used the Histogram panel to look at one image. In fact the Histogram panel only shows the most selected histogram when multiple images are selected . Until now I've seen no reason to select multiple images and look at the Histogram panel (and not for the Histogram!)

Not without a plugin. I agree this isn't great.

My Search and Replace plugin's Worfklow Filters command lets you do this (without buying):
View attachment 14044
Thanks!
I tried the plugin and found the "is Missing" filter. It works, but two questions remain.
Does it operate on selected only? My trial experiments with smaller photo sets makes me uncertain.
I see no indication telling that a refresh is finished. Should I expect it? (I'm using a desktop with i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM and fast HDs and filtering ~35000 photos leaves me waiting ...)

"Does it operate on selected only?" - Yes.
"I see no indication telling that a refresh is finished." - there's a progress bar. Running this on 35000 photos is possible, but you're asking it to crunch a lot of data and I wouldn't expect speed.

"Does it operate on selected only?" - Yes.
"I see no indication telling that a refresh is finished." - there's a progress bar. Running this on 35000 photos is possible, but you're asking it to crunch a lot of data and I wouldn't expect speed.
Today, after having restarted the computer and LR, I once more searched for missing photos among those 35K+ selected photos. The progressbar appeared and after a reasonable number of minutes I could see missing photos. However, after having selected a number of photos not being present in the previous selection and doing nothing else, my search for missing photos from this new selection, did not show a progressbar and nothing seems to happen. Must some kind of activity in the library since last Workflow filter activation be necessary in order to trig a refresh?

Normally, it doesn't refresh automatically - you have to run the menu command.

After a refresh being appled to a set of seklected photos and then having indicated what photos "is missing", my perception is that one has to modify the catalog/database in order to have the "is missing" filter (after a new refresh) work on another selected set of photos.

Otherwise the "Please confirm"-popup is shown but no progressbar and no change in number of "is missing", no matter of how long I wait.

If I have edited or deleted a photo between the two refresh activities, then a new filtering audition is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back