• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Missing Photos - RENAMED originals

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJLR

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Dear All,
I have been reading about my problem quite some time now, until now I didn`t find any solution.

Here is the problem:
After importing images from a vacation I did a backup. Then I started to work on those photos, rate, keyword, did some selectiv processing and RENAME the photos using LR.
In the mean time I did not backup again (not good). Then my photo hard drive gave in. I was quite happy because I had a backup, until I discovered that Lightroom has problems finding photos that have different names on the hard drive compared to the catalog (remember, I renamed the files I lost with the hard drive).

This is way I tryed to solve the problem:
- verify images from faulty hard drive could not be retreived
- copy photos from backup onto new drive
- direct Lightroom to new photo location (LR and Photos are on different drives)
- check how the catalog is doing
> everything exept the folders from the last vacation are ok.

what now?
- select the missing folder and redirect it to folder on new hard drive.
- everything seems fine, check the photos = oh no! still missing
- relocating single files works, but it does not find nearby missing photos

Everything I have learned until now is that my big problem is the different names.
Everybody told me I will have to relocate all the files by hand or reimport and do everything over.
With over 2000 photos I hope there is a easier way.

I was thinking of a prog / plugin that could compare the metadata and make the connection. Good idea/ bad idea?

Any other suggestions, workarounds?
Thanks FJ

Screenshots
LR-Snip01.JPG

LR-Snip02.JPG

LR-Snip03.JPG

LR-Snip05.JPG

1. Before using Lightroom I had a DAM prog I trusted all my files to. Then the company stoped supporting the prog and I wanted to export my files to use with LR. Using the program for this was very tedious. So I wanted to find the files with explorer. I found the images folder, but everything was arranged differently in the folders than in the catalog shown by the DAM Prog.
From that day on I want to know into which folder the file belongs by looking at the name, using explorer, and my LR folder tree has to look the same as the explorer tree.

But maybe adding the original file name into the new file name will help in such cases in future …
Well now that you work in Lightroom, the Lightroom tree does in fact look exactly as the Explorer tree and there isn't much to look for in Explorer. Lightroom has basic "explorer functionality" built in like moving folders around. If you must rename something in order to be able to find your images in Explorer, you may consider just renaming your folders. When I import, I let LR organise by date and right after the import I rename the date stamped folder to "date + something meaningful". I never rename my originals. Just a thought.

2. I like to think of my RAW files as my negatives. Now and again I shoot with a picture style and want to see the JPEG image in my LR catalog. If I don’t like it I can redevelop the raw.
This approach proved especially helpful since I have the Fuji x20. I like the Velvia look, and LR does not give the possibility to switch between profiles for the x20, as I am used to with the Nikon DSLRs I am using. I know I could create profiles myself …
Well yes if you want to develop RAWs while looking at JPG's as an example, all within LR then you must import the JPGs next to the RAWs. But you could just import the RAWs and use another viewer for the JPGs. That would make for a cleaner catalog. I'm assuming you never develop any JPGs.

I would love it if LR would stack JPEG+RAW photos automatically and give the possibility to add Metadata to both photos in one go. At the moment I am using syncomatic for this. And then stacking by capture time.
I wouldn't know how to do this as I never import JPGs into LR. Maybe someone else could.

Sorry guys & gals - at the moment, Relocation Services does still rely exclusively on filename for making the association.

Relocation Services @v2.1 (in conjunction with latest version of SQLiteroom) now supports finding by original filename.

Instructions:
* Download/install SQLiteroom
* Enable 'Original Filenames' preset (for startup batch file)
* Save startup batch file.
* Exit Lightroom, then use startup batch file to re-startup Lightroom.
* Use Relocation Services as before, except this time, it'll look for photo file with the original filename, if not found with current filename.

Rob

Last edited:
Relocation Services @v2.1 (in conjunction with latest version of SQLiteroom) now supports finding by original filename.
Rob
Wow, thank you Rob! Apparently it actually does pay off to contact you. Not that I need this plugin myself, but I really appreciate your effort to help.

Wow, thank you Rob!

You're welcome.

Apparently it actually does pay off to contact you.

I'm usually pretty responsive, and I like to think easy to get along with ;). (John Beardy and I have personal issues which have soured our professional relationship, but otherwise...).

Not that I need this plugin myself

Still haven't heard back from the OP :hm:.

I really appreciate your effort to help.

Yeah, this was a hole in Relocation Services which needed to be plugged, so I appreciate the nudge. I have uses for it (access to original filenames) in other plugins as well..

Cheers,
Rob

Last edited:
Hi All,
back home and ready to test Robs Plugin.
Thank you very much Rob!! I will report on my findings.

We haven't heard from FJ if the original filename field in the EXIF/IPCT holds any data, but let's assume that it's there.

Had a look at my Metadata tab, but could not find original filename. Where did it go?

LR-Snip08.JPG

Even when selecting a working file it doesn´t show up.:confused:

Success
thanks to all of you and especially the help by Rob Cole and his Plugin I was able to relocate all photos.
All my rating, key-wording and development work has been saved.

Big Thank You !

Now off to reworking the backup strategies.

FJ

Well, congrats! And a big thumbs up for your efforts, Rob, to create a solution. :hail: Highly appreciated.

Success
thanks to all of you and especially the help by Rob Cole and his Plugin I was able to relocate all photos.
All my rating, key-wording and development work has been saved.

Big Thank You !

Now off to reworking the backup strategies.

FJ
I realize this is an old thread, but I have the same problem (I renamed photos outside of Lightroom after they had been imported and edited in Lightroom and now Lightroom can't find them). I am able to individually locate each photo in Lightroom and my edits are preserved after the photos are located, but it's very tedious to locate each photo individually. Alternatively, I can re-import the renamed photos, but then all edits aside from crops are gone. Are all edits preserved somewhere and is there a way to get them to appear on re-imported photos?

Otherwise, back to the solution that FJLR found, the plugin appears to be no longer be available online (I discovered that Rob passed away and there is an archive of his website with a link to the plugin, but the link didn't work: https://web.archive.org/web/2015020...oductsAndServices/RelocationServicesLrPlugin/). FJLR, is there any chance you still have a copy of that plugin? Or does anyone else have an idea that might work that wasn't mentioned previously? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• SNAG-0019.jpg
    SNAG-0019.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 100
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back