• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Missing photo when Smart Preview Exists

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColMac9090

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm planning on moving all my images to an external disk. In preparation for this I've gradually been creating Smart Previews for all my images. Currently 100% of my photos are stored locally.

There is an issue with this however, as a photo which is genuinely missing (remember all images local) has its "Exclamation Mark" icon replaced by the Smart Preview Icon. The attached image shows the issue. I did a "Find all Missing photos", and got three hits. Two were videos so the "Exclamation Mark" is visible, the other however simply shows a "Smart Preview" icon. As all files are local, in this case, the image genuinely was missing, and not simply on a disconnected external drive.

LR Miss.jpg

The problem now is how to identify files that are actually missing from those that may be disconnected.

In this case it was obvious, in others where there may be a mix of each type of missing image, it may not be possible (for multiple reasons) to connect the external drive at that time.

Is there any other way to identify?

Colin

If you want to find missing images from one particular disk, then do the following. Right-click the top folder of that disk in the folder panel and choose ‘Synchronize Folder’. Don’t synchronize, but at the bottom of the dialog click the ‘Show Missing Photos’ button.

In preparation for this I've gradually been creating Smart Previews for all my images.

Colin,
Please explain purpose of creating Smart Previews in relation to you're wanting to move the images from your internal HD to an External HD? Moving images from one drive to another has nothing to do with Smart Previews. Just drag the folders you want to move, in the LR Folders panel (not in Finder) to the desired location on the external drive. Smart Previews stay in a folder where ever the catalog is so really aren't involved in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back