• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Library module Missing Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikapoo

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
v 11
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I recently upgraded to macOS Monterey 12.0.1 and to Lightroom v11. Since these upgrades, there are several parent folders missing, along with many missing individual photos in my Lightroom library. The missing folders are selective (see screenshot #1)- in the hierarchy, the top two folders, 2007, 2009 are missing, then all the folders below that from 2010 through 2020 are OK, then the last two in the hierarchy are missing. There are missing photos in another folder in a somewhat random order, also. I did not make any name changes or other changes outside of Lightroom (I've made this mistake in the past and know NOT to do this). This problem showed up sometime after the two upgrades mentioned, above. I'm going to attach three screenshots to show you what I'm encountering in my attempt to 'Find' the missing folders and photos.
The first screen shot shows the missing folders; the second screenshot shows what shows up in 'Finder' when I attempt to 'Find Missing' folders (the folders in Finder can be drilled down into to find the photos, but some of then look strange to me and the process is very laborious); the third screenshot shows the dialog I get when I drill down and find an actual missing photo.
If you need further information, let me know.

Thanks,
Kathleen

Kathleen
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.24.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.20.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 9.28.52 AM.png

I think I've finally gotten all my folders and images 'found' and named correctly! I thank you so very much for your help and patience! "Thank you" hardly seems adequate, though...the forum is SUCH a valuable resource for non-technical folks like me!

I have further questions, unrelated to this problem, but I'll begin a new 'thread' for them...

Gratefully and Thankfully yours,
Kathleen

I think I've finally gotten all my folders and images 'found' and named correctly! I thank you so very much for your help and patience! "Thank you" hardly seems adequate, though...the forum is SUCH a valuable resource for non-technical folks like me!

I have further questions, unrelated to this problem, but I'll begin a new 'thread' for them...

Gratefully and Thankfully yours,
Kathleen
Those of us that spend time answering question do so out of a desire to help. I am glad that I was able to understand the problem and work out a solution.
Don't hesitate to come back to this forum with other issues. We are here to help.

Hi again!
In preparing to move Lightroom (and all other data) to a new computer, I began following the instructions in Adobe Lightroom - Moving to a New Computer. I used the instruction "Find Missing Photos" and Lightroom found 67 missing images. I've come up against several problems in attempting to 'Find' them. I'll take them one at a time for simplicity's sake.
First: I found a group of 7 missing images that are in a subfolder. The folder itself does not show as missing and is not grayed out, so I matched one individual image in Lightroom to its corresponding location in Finder. This image, along with the other 6 images were 'found' and the ! is gone. I checked to see if I could use the 'Develop' module, and I could, so the image does seem to be located. However, they still show up in 'Missing Photographs' under Catalogs on the left hand panel. I tried shutting Lightroom down and re-opening it to see it they would no longer show up in "Missing Photographs', but they are still there. What course of action should I take to remove them...or is there still a problem?
(Also, should I begin a new thread rather than adding on to this thread? I have several more questions).
Thanks,
Kathleen

The "Missing Photos" special collection is not "live" like you are expecting it to be. You need to do the "Find Missing Photos" command again to refresh it.

OK, that makes sense. I'll run "Find Missing Photographs" again. Thanks!

Here's a Second Problem: I have a folder containing 26 images, some of which are missing (the folder itself is not missing). In the screen shot, you will see a meaningless file name 1YZBEY~H. This a folder whose name got changed because it contained asterisks (when I upgraded to Lightroom 11.) I got rid of most of them, but this one I have not been able to manage.
When I click on the ! in one of the missing images and navigate to this location here's what happens: a) if I click on the first image (_001.jpg) and Select it, I get an error message saying the file name is too long. b) if I click on 1YZBEY~H, nothing happens...the images are not found.
The images should be in the Folder 2 Arizona going so I need to get rid of, or bypass, 1YZBEY~H. Do have a suggestion as to how I can do that?

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 6.01.55 AM.png

Why don't you just move those images into the '2 Arizona going' folder itself and delete the empty '1YZBEY~H' subfolder? I suspect the tilde in the folder name causes problems, but as you don't want that folder anyway, this is the easiest solution.

I do not see a file named "_001.jpg". Instead I see a file with a name so long that finder only lists partially as "April 5, 2...2_001.jpg". This might be contributing to your "file name is too long" issue. You may need to do some renaming here as well outside of finder.
If I understand your screen shot correctly , folder "1YZBEY~H" is a sub folder of "2 Arizona going". I see another folder named "2 Arizona-going". (Note the "-"). I think this can be confusing later.

For now, I suggest that you shout down Lightroom Classic and in Finder rename the folder currently named "1YZBEY~H" to something logical. Now when you reopen LrC, the whole folder should be missing and can be found using the "Find Missing folder" with the new name.

First--I was successful in finding / moving all the missing images, (except one, see below...). FYI, the system would not allow me to move (drag and drop) the images into "2 Arizona going" . I got an error message saying the file names were too long. I was successful with the renaming of "1YZBEY~H" to a recognizable name and then dragging them into "2 Arizona going".

Second--the one remaining missing image: I have searched through all the images in the year 2010 (4656 images). I've searched it about three times. The image is just not there (unless its name was changed to something that I would not be able to recognize). I can live without that image, but I can't delete a missing image. Another option would be to just remove it from Lightroom, but not the disk. Would this cause problems in the future...or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks,
Kathleen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back