• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Library module Missing Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikapoo

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
v 11
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I recently upgraded to macOS Monterey 12.0.1 and to Lightroom v11. Since these upgrades, there are several parent folders missing, along with many missing individual photos in my Lightroom library. The missing folders are selective (see screenshot #1)- in the hierarchy, the top two folders, 2007, 2009 are missing, then all the folders below that from 2010 through 2020 are OK, then the last two in the hierarchy are missing. There are missing photos in another folder in a somewhat random order, also. I did not make any name changes or other changes outside of Lightroom (I've made this mistake in the past and know NOT to do this). This problem showed up sometime after the two upgrades mentioned, above. I'm going to attach three screenshots to show you what I'm encountering in my attempt to 'Find' the missing folders and photos.
The first screen shot shows the missing folders; the second screenshot shows what shows up in 'Finder' when I attempt to 'Find Missing' folders (the folders in Finder can be drilled down into to find the photos, but some of then look strange to me and the process is very laborious); the third screenshot shows the dialog I get when I drill down and find an actual missing photo.
If you need further information, let me know.

Thanks,
Kathleen

Kathleen
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.24.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 10.20.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 9.28.52 AM.png

The file name (too long) includes the full path. In the folder panel there is a missing folder named “T2008*”. What is the full path to the folder above (2020)? Do you have long complex file names? The (*) is usually reserved as a wild card character. Could this be part of your problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The full file name for the parent folder "2003-2020" is: /Volumes/Public/Shared Pictures/2003-2020. As far as I know, I don't have long, complex file names...? I think they are assigned by the program, as in the one above (/Volumes/Public...etc).

Maybe I shouldn't b using * in my folder titles. I've been using it to designate folders that I've completed part of my editing process, then adding a second ** when I've completed another step, etc. I could just as easily use a different character. I doubt that this is the problem, though...I've been doing this for years.

In the second screenshot, don't some of the folder names look strange...such as the first two 2AAJI3~C and 2AUIPI~Q ?

Kathleen

Lightroom-Classic does not 'play well' with many characters- other than the Alpha ABC..../Numerics 123... and 'Space', 'underscore' and 'dash'.
I would definitely avoid the asterisk [*] and the tilde[~] in your folder and file names. (Tilde not in the "Illegal" list?)

Screen-clip from Preferences / File Handling-
1637711934401.png

You would be better to use Collections to manage your "editing Process", and not change Folder or File names.
Workflow smart collections – John Beardsworth

I am looking at the missing folders and sure enough, it appears that all of them have asterisks in the folder name….so the next logical question is, how can I fix this? My attempts to ‘find’ the missing folders end with the message that the file name is too long (See screenshots in my original post).
Also, as an added problem, the keyboard on my computer is having major problems (I’m sending this message via my iPad)…I am not able to log in to your website because the computer keyboard will no longer type the ’period’ or (.), so I can’t type my email address (can’t type .net). I’ve ordered a new computer but it won’t be delivered until Dec 20 - 28. I think I need to try to resolve the problem before transferring to the new computer.
Thank you,
Kathleen

I am looking at the missing folders and sure enough, it appears that all of them have asterisks in the folder name….so the next logical question is, how can I fix this? My attempts to ‘find’ the missing folders end with the message that the file name is too long (See screenshots in my original post).
Also, as an added problem, the keyboard on my computer is having major problems (I’m sending this message via my iPad)…I am not able to log in to your website because the computer keyboard will no longer type the ’period’ or (.), so I can’t type my email address (can’t type .net). I’ve ordered a new computer but it won’t be delivered until Dec 20 - 28. I think I need to try to resolve the problem before transferring to the new computer.
Thank you,
Kathleen

Do you need a new computer or would a new keyboard solve your missed period? If you can not borrow a keyboard, then wait until the new computer arrives and use that new keyboard on you badly named folders. You may have to do this outside of LrC and then find the new ly named folder that will still show as missing in LrC.

Also, the Space bar adds a period (.) followed by a space. The delete key will remove the space leaving the period. (I use this all the time on my iPhone because the period requires a special characters key to expose the non alpha characters)

I do think I need a new computer, not just a keyboard; it's about 5 years old and is presenting other problems, but I think I can proceed. I have attached a Bluetooth connected keyboard which works marginally well, so I would like to proceed with the missing folder problem if you could give me directions. (I am now logged in via my computer). And thanks for the tip on using the space bar to add a period.

Thank you,
Kathleen

I do think I need a new computer, not just a keyboard; it's about 5 years old and is presenting other problems, but I think I can proceed. I have attached a Bluetooth connected keyboard which works marginally well, so I would like to proceed with the missing folder problem if you could give me directions. (I am now logged in via my computer). And thanks for the tip on using the space bar to add a period.

Thank you,
Kathleen

Let’s take the folder “2007*” as an example. Use Finder to locate and rename that folder. You can then do this for the remaining folders with the (*) appended. You should also check the parent folders and rename any parent folders that might contain the (*).

Now open Lightroom and in the folder panel locate the missing folder “2007*”. Right kick on this folder to expose the context menu. From that dropdown menu choose “Find Missing Folder” and then in the dialog that opens navigate to the newly renamed folder that used to be “2007*”

Lightroom uses a file/folder naming convention that is compatible with both Windows and Mac. Legal names in MacOS may not be legal in Windows and that is why you need to use safe names that are legal in both operating systems.

Before I do any renaming in Finder, I need some clarification, please. (I'm using folder T2006* because it has only 60 images, not 1000's)

This is what it looks like in the Lightroom folders hierarchy
Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 10.26.43 AM.png

This is what it looks like in Finder
Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 10.25.30 AM.png

First, could you tell me specifically what name would be appropriate to rename T2DL1J~J to? (and why has the name become this strange, incomprehensible, meaningless name?)

Second, when I have renamed the folder in Finder, and gone to "Find Missing Folder", and navigated to the renamed folder in Finder, DO I CLICK ON THE RENAMED FOLDER in order to recreate the link to Lightroom?

Thank you,
Kathleen

If you did not rename the folder to “T2DL1J~J”. Then I can’t explain how it got renamed.

Now, I think all you need to do is work in the Lightroom Folder panel. Right clock on the folder T2006* in the folder panel and in the Finder dialog that opens, navigate to “T2DL1J~J”. That should correct the ‘missing folders issue for that folder.

If you don’t like that “T2DL1J~J” folder name, then in the Folder panel right click and choose Rename from the context menu.

In attempting to correct the missing folders in the former folder "T2006*" here's what happened:
First, I right clicked on Birds, went to Finder, clicked on Birds, then clicked on "choose" on the bottom, right of the Finder screen. The photo was lost the question mark in Lightroom
Second, I repeated the process with Family 2006 and Stitchery, both of which lost their question marks
Third, when I tried to reconnect the folder Y #10***Carrizo '06 I got thee message in the second screenshot "Files name too long", and the previous three folders (Birds, Family 2006, Stitchery) once again have question marks
Fourth, at some point the parent folder "T2006*" now has the name "T2DL1J~J" and the former folder "Y #10***Carrizo '06" now has the name "YQHGE8~P". I'm guessing that the asterisks are what are causing the name changes, but
Fifth Why am I getting the error message that the file name is too long?

This screenshot shows Lightroom on the left and Finder on the right
Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 12.01.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 12.04.31 PM.png

Thanks,
Kathleen

In attempting to correct the missing folders in the former folder "T2006*" here's what happened:
First, I right clicked on Birds, went to Finder, clicked on Birds, then clicked on "choose" on the bottom, right of the Finder screen. The photo was lost the question mark in Lightroom
Second, I repeated the process with Family 2006 and Stitchery, both of which lost their question marks
Third, when I tried to reconnect the folder Y #10***Carrizo '06 I got thee message in the second screenshot "Files name too long", and the previous three folders (Birds, Family 2006, Stitchery) once again have question marks
Fourth, at some point the parent folder "T2006*" now has the name "T2DL1J~J" and the former folder "Y #10***Carrizo '06" now has the name "YQHGE8~P". I'm guessing that the asterisks are what are causing the name changes, but
Fifth Why am I getting the error message that the file name is too long?

This screenshot shows Lightroom on the left and Finder on the right
View attachment 17599View attachment 17600

Thanks,
Kathleen

My instructions called for dealing with ONLY the folder in the Folder panel named “T2006*”. All of the sub folder looked like that have the correct legal names.

What happens when you just locate “T2DL1J~J” for the folder “T2006*” in the folder panel?

The Asterisks are causing problems. And until you rename them in the Folder panel, they will still keep corrupting the folder names.

Let’s just deal with one folder and report back on how that goes.

First...just so you know...most of the incorrectly named folders (2007*, T2008*, 2009*) (parent and subfolders...which is probably 50 to 100 folders) in Finder have changed to meaningless names so I can't easily navigate to the folders. After much searching, I've hopefully been able to identify each of missing Parent folders by counting the number of sub-folders and matching things up this way, going by the dates on the individual image files. (I did successfully get the folder "2006" relocated in Lightroom and the question marks are gone).

Second...now I want to attempt to relocate the photos in 2007 (incorrectly named 2007*). Please let me know if I have the procedure and sequence correct:
1. In Finder, the 2007* parent folder's name has changed to 2AUIPI~Q, so I need to change "2AUIPI~Q" to "2007" , in Finder...Correct?
2. Then in Lightroom, right click on the folder 2007* , then click on "Find Missing Folder" from the resulting dropdown menu...
3. Then (in Finder) navigate to the newly renamed folder "2007" and click on "Choose" (bottom, right button)...Correct?

I'll wait for your yea or nay before I proceed! There thousands of photos in these folders :oops:!!!

Thank you,
Kathleen

First...just so you know...most of the incorrectly named folders (2007*, T2008*, 2009*) (parent and subfolders...which is probably 50 to 100 folders) in Finder have changed to meaningless names so I can't easily navigate to the folders. After much searching, I've hopefully been able to identify each of missing Parent folders by counting the number of sub-folders and matching things up this way, going by the dates on the individual image files. (I did successfully get the folder "2006" relocated in Lightroom and the question marks are gone).

Second...now I want to attempt to relocate the photos in 2007 (incorrectly named 2007*). Please let me know if I have the procedure and sequence correct:
1. In Finder, the 2007* parent folder's name has changed to 2AUIPI~Q, so I need to change "2AUIPI~Q" to "2007" , in Finder...Correct?
2. Then in Lightroom, right click on the folder 2007* , then click on "Find Missing Folder" from the resulting dropdown menu...
3. Then (in Finder) navigate to the newly renamed folder "2007" and click on "Choose" (bottom, right button)...Correct?

I'll wait for your yea or nay before I proceed! There thousands of photos in these folders :oops:!!!

Thank you,
Kathleen

Your three steps are what I would recommend. Alternately, yup could do every thing in the Lightroom Folder panel
1. Find missing folder and navigate to “2AUIPI~Q” , choose it
2. Still in the folder panel rename “2AUIPI~Q” to “2007”

I was successful in changing the top level folder "2007" in Finder and then in Lightroom (It's no long greyed out with the question mark), but all the subfolders below this parent folder (and all of the individual images) still have question marks. (Many of these folders have asterisk in their titles). I attempted to individually change a couple of the sub folders, but when I select "choose" I get the error message that the file name is too long. Any thoughts on how I might get around this?

Thanks, Kathleen

I think the steps you need to take is to rename outside of Lightroom and then use the “Find Missing Folder” in the Folder panel.

The asterisk (*) is a wild card Character and is returning everything casing the too long file name.

I spent the entire weekend reconnecting all the missing folders, successfully for the most part...(I had a couple glitches that I need to get some help with when I get this latest problem resolved)... but this morning I checked the folder names to insure that they don't contain any illegal character. One of the newly reconnected top level folders (Y 18 Canada 2008) WAS named "Y 18 Canada '08" and after reading about file names, I thought I should take the (') out of '08 and make it 2008. I had just done this with several other folders with no problem, but as soon as I renamed "Y 18 Canada '08" to "Y 18 Canada 2008") ALL of that folder went 'missing' (hundreds of subfolder and thousands of photos!). I made the change IN Lightroom. And when I compare the files in Lightroom to Finder, they appear to match. I've included a screenshot. This shows the now missing parent folder in Lightroom, on the left, and the corresponding folder in Finder on the right. I can't see any difference...and when I 'choose' it in Finder, nothing happens.
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 8.09.16 AM.png

Do you have any idea what happened and how to remedy this situation?

Thanks, Kathleen

I have not received a reply to my latest post, above. I am hesitant to proceed or try a solution to the problem without some guidance as I may compound the problem. Requesting a reply, please......
Thanks,
Kathleen

Sorry, I missed your post yesterday. Normally, you only need to reconnect the top level folder ("Y 18 Canada 2008") to the correct path and the sub folders will follow along. With these illegal folder names that you are having to correct, you may need to use the find missing folder option on each folder including the child folders of a newly corrected parent.

Whoa! Huge apology...I just logged into Lightroom and all the folders are miraculously healed, question marks gone! I guess when I logged off last night and then logged in again this morning the missing folders/ images got a reset and are now connected.

Now I need to proceed with the problem I accidentally created in a few of the folders that I was trying to pair with Lightroom and Finder...

As I mentioned earlier, the missing folders (in Finder) all had names that were meaningless, just letters and numbers instead of the name I had given them. As a result, I accidentally mis-matched about three of the folders (I "chose" the wrong folder when in Finder trying to pair the Lightroom folder with the corresponding folder in Finder). The screenshot below shows what I did: I accidentally put the 47 images of "Winnagami" into the "OTR Canada" folder and the 18 "OTR Canada" images into the "Winnagami" folder. I'm not sure how to with the contents of these two folders. Thanks, Kathleen

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 6.17.28 AM.png

Cletus, I apologize once again....all I have to do is drag the contents into its corresponding folder to remedy it!

I was so upset about the entire "Canada" folder going missing after literally spending two full days reconnecting them that that I have been in panic mode and not thinking clearly.

I do have a couple more issues that I need to address, but I need to think about them and present them clearly. I'll be posting again soon, but in the meantime, thank you for your help and patience!

Kathleen

Here is my latest problem in trying to get the images in the (corrupted? unlinked?) folders relinked to Lightroom:

I'm working on a folder named "Y 49 Death Valley Apr 2021". There are MANY folders with an asterisk in the folder title, which has caused almost all folders and images to go missing. I was able to match one of the folders in Lightroom with the corresponding folder in Finder and link them...EXCEPT almost ALL of the folders under "Y 49 Death Valley" now APPEAR to be linked/found with the question marks gone, but they aren't linked because when I attempt to select an image and go to 'Develop' I get the message that the images is missing.

Here is the sequence I followed: I matched ONE parent folder in Lightroom with the corresponding folder in Finder (with the gibberish name) and 'chose' it. After doing this, ALL of the folders under "Y 49 Death Valley Apr 2021" in Lightroom (parents and their corresponding subfolders) APPEARED to link up when I went back into Lightroom because all the question marks are gone and they are no longer grayed out. The folder names are not correct because I could no longer go into each individual folder, chose it, and then rename it. Subsequently, they still have asterisks in their names and the photos are not linked (even though they don't have a question mark).

This screenshot shows 1) Lightroom folder "Y 49 Death Valley Apr 2021 (far left); 2) Finder, with the folders and subfolders paths. (Note the third column with the meaningless names).

I tried renaming a folder that has asterisks in its name (in Lightroom), but I get this message: "The folder could be renamed or moved".
And now that there are no question marks on individual folder or images, I can't 'Find and Choose' the missing folders or images in Finder and link them with their corresponding folder in Lightroom.

Do you have any suggestions as how to proceed from here?
Thanks, Kathleen

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 6.43.41 AM.png

From your screen shots, I can’t tell if the subfolder “1 *Red Rock Canyon”. Is showing up in Finder as 2WQQAD-H, Assuming that the Finder name for this Lightroom Folder is 2WQQAD-H, right click in this folder in LRC choose update folder location and choose 2WQQAD-H from the System dialog.

Once the path is correctly associated with the right folder in the file system, you can rename 2WQQAD-H to something meaningful like “Red Rock Canyon”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back