• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Missing folder in current catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST-EOS

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I think I may have inadvertently deleted a folder during some historic hard disk rearranging. I know the approximate date of the images it contained as my wife has a entry ticket for the event that the missing (presumed deleted) folder. In my current catalog year 2009 exists and contains folders either side of the date of the missing folder.

I still have catalogs from previous iterations of LR3 through to LR6. Would I be able to open one of the earlier LR catalog in LRCC and if that version shows the missing folder would I then be able to develop images it contains to export those edited images to a new folder on my hard drive to allow me to bring that folder into my LRCC catalog?

If I have posted this in a wrong area of the forum please feel free to move it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, images are not 'in' Lightroom, Lightroom contains only the information. The Lightroom catalog is like an address book. An address book contains all the data of your friends, but they do not physically live in there. Same for images in Lightroom. You have to find that original folder, because that is where they are. If you deleted that folder and you have no backup, then having an old catalog will not do you any good.

No, images are not 'in' Lightroom, Lightroom contains only the information. The Lightroom catalog is like an address book. An address book contains all the data of your friends, but they do not physically live in there. Same for images in Lightroom. You have to find that original folder, because that is where they are. If you deleted that folder and you have no backup, then having an old catalog will not do you any good.
Thanks Johan, that's the answer I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back