• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Missing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

idreanc

Lightroom Version Number
lightroom classic 11.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi, I am new toLR purchased about 3 months ago but have now purchased a new computer, windows. I have read the instrustions countless times and thought I had it right , I have got my photos in LR but they need linking , but when I right click on the folder no dialogue box comes ups with show missing folders. I may have too much information on my compuer as I got shop to load all my files and photos on , but then I also backed up my lightrrom catalogue and pictures to a hard drive that I then put on my desktop. These are the ones I used to put into LR. should I delete them all and start again, although when I tried that nothing. Please help,

Don't delete, don't import again, and don't use Folder > Synchronize.

So far you're saying some of the right things like "I also backed up my lightrrom catalogue and pictures to a hard drive that I then put on my desktop" and some that hint at what's happening "I have got my photos in LR but they need linking" which I read as you have a catalogue that shows the photos you expected.

The next bit "when I right click on the folder no dialogue box comes ups with show missing folders" is important, because it's probably what you will need to do. So let's see a screenshot of your Folders panel, and expand it so we can see the names of folders.

So try right clicking the Pictures folder. Do you not get an option to find the missing folder?

No nothing happens when I right clicked the pictures folder. As I said in hindsight I shouldn"t have downloaded to hard drive then put on my desk top as my photos were allready on my computer as the shop did it for me. Now I have effectivly put 2 lots of photos on my hard drive, computer is probably confused. This is why I think I should just start again. should I have been able to just double click the Icart- data file in the lightroom folder and would it have worked?.

Hello, just to let you know , that I now have a mouse connected to my computer and I obviously wasn't right clicking. Now dialogue box says no items match your search. screen shot atached.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    861.6 KB · Views: 63
That's just confirming what we saw in the first screenshot where you appear to have logged into the computer using a user name called "user". I guess on this computer you've chosen a different name, probably your own .

So first do a bit of exploring / research. In Explorer, find out where there is a folder such as Beach Photos and see if it's under another folder called Pictures. Then do the LR right click again and point Pictures to this new location.

Hi, Am sending you some screen shots ,I think I have 2 pathways because I downloaded the extr set of photos , I think the one I want to use is This PC - Desktop Idrean - pictures which I think links to Idrean or this Pc - pictures I think this one links to user . I really need to remove the photos I put on from the hard drive as they are taking up all my space, if I delete that folder will it make a difference to LR. Also now if I go to link them it wants to merge all photos into one folder. I know it might seem messy but I want to keep my folders.

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    725.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Hi ,please I still need help, I linked up all the missing files by right clicking the ? and they all merged into a main folder. But although there in no ? showing on the main folder , they are all still missing. I also want to get my folders back.

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
Since I emailed you above I have unmerged the folders , but they are still all missing and if I go to link them they want to merge , I did merge one group and they are still missing. I'm sure my problem is the 2 sets of files, I did remove the ones I downloaded from my hard drive to desktop but then they were all gone so I restored them. I have tried doing by individual file but tells me original is missing. Feel like I am going round in circles getting nowhere. I feel I should just romove everything and star again, but would still do something wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot (13).png
    Screenshot (13).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back