Missing Files and Folders - PC Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Schroedingers Dog

Sorry for the ridiculous Thread title.

I had a complete failure of my PC last weekend (Motherboard and disk errors). The good news is I don't believe I lost any photos (between backups and what I could salvage from the original disks).

I decided to get a new PC. In my new PC, I was able to load down the folders that contained my photos, but the drive designations and folder structures are different than on the old machine.

I know I can go in to the folder view and folder by folder instruct LR where to find the missing files. Is there an easier way? I have LOTS of folders.

Hi Schroedinger's Dog

Would you mind updating your signature with your system specs when you get a moment? It helps us give me specific advise. There's easy instructions at http://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/showthread.php?t=144

Have the folder structures holding the photographs changed, or just the drive letter?

If the drive letter's changed, I'd be inclined to change it back and save a load of hassle. You can do so in Disk Management.

Other than that, you're down to relinking your missing folders manually. When you've done one, it may be clever enough to figure out the others for you. Always pick the highest level folder you can, as it will automatically update subfolders.

And a tip to avoid this in future. You want to allow LR to see one folder level above your normal folders - so if your folder all reside in a Pictures folder, and then sorted by year, you want LR to know about that Pictures folder. That way you only ever have 1 folder to relocate. I'll put instructions on my blog later and post back then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back