• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

missing files and duplicates

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightroom8345

Lightroom Version Number
cc
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
This happens a lot due to my collection of files from many years of poor organization on top of many backups due to computer migrations:

I am sorting files- moving them from one folder to another. Then a message pops up saying that some of the files are already in the target folder.

Question: what happens if the folder has cataloged a file, but that file is missing? Would the catalog still call the new file a duplicate?

I am paranoid of this happening and accidentally (though intentionally) erasing the duplicate.

Same question for importing files. If the catalog has that file already in its database, but it turns out to be missing (for who-knows-what-reason), will the file I am attempting to import be considered a duplicate?

How do I prevent either of these situations?

This question has vexed me for years and has had me come up with space hogging backups *just in case*. Enough already!

Thank you!!

Hi! How are you moving files around?

If you are using Windows Explorer / Finder then it is a call for disaster. It is recommended to use LR to move files around and eventually to re-link missing files (and folders).

For new imports, by definition import creates new entries in the database, so you will end up with duplicates if those import files are already existing somewhere else in LR. Only exception, if the files you are copying or moving exist in the target folder with the exact same name, and if you tick the box "exclude suspect duplicates", then they will be identified as duplicates and they won't be imported again.

Sent using Tapatalk

Hi. Thank you for your response to this question.

I've been back at sorting and just came across a definite issue.

Your response seemed to be about the import process. but what if I am using the library view to move files around. I have come across a definite instance, and I am absolutely positive it can't be the only one, in which the file I was moving was indicated to already be in the target folder. Upon looking for that file, which I periodically do out of paranoia of accidentlally erasing files, it turns out there is a different file with the same name. Ugh! that makes all the moving I have done suspect.

Any thuoghts what I can do about this? Why isn't there anything else other than name used as identification- such as size and date? i can't believe this system is so primitive.

a bit of a rant but also desperate to learn how I can manage this situation.
Thanks!

If I'm reading you correctly, you are trying to move a file from one folder to another using the Folders panel, and you are running into a problem when the system detects that a file of the same name already exists in that target folder. If that is correct, there's no need to rant....you're running into a basic operating system limitation (which has probably existed since the OS was first developed), i.e. multiple files with the same name cannot exist in the same folder. Doesn't matter if they are actually different files, the fact they have the same name means that only one of them can exist in the folder. When using the Folders panel to do the move, Lightroom uses the OS File System to effect the move, and it's the OS File System which doesn't allow the move to take place.

The easiest way to prevent the problem is to stop moving files around. The second easiest way (which many people will do) is to rename the files during import....simply adding the capture date to the original filename is a pretty simple way to avoid subsequent file name clashes, and is probably the most popular method.

The easiest way to prevent the problem is to stop moving files around. The second easiest way (which many people will do) is to rename the files during import....simply adding the capture date to the original filename is a pretty simple way to avoid subsequent file name clashes, and is probably the most popular method.
You have already discovered one basic limitation to trying to organize using the file system. it is not important where the files are stored since you have decided to manage the organization with Lightroom. Lightroom's organization is through collections and keywords Create collections to group your photos. and Smart Collections to group them by keywords and other metadata. You can even file that you can group the same image in different collections — something you can not do if you are trying to use filesystem folders to group images.

Solved!

Thanks fellas.

For the past many many years I have been keeping suspected dupes in seperate folders. But out of a need to tighten up my collection so that I could sort through and make selections spanning 10 years, it was time to start merging.

I came to a solution. I selected all images in my folders and renamed them to be {date}-{filename}. In this way each unique image had a unique filename. Now, when merging I am confident that the files flagged as duplicates are truly duplicates. Whew! Such a relief to know that I can now have a reliable process for merging my collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back