Missing files after removal of SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatieRN

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
3.x
Would love if someone could help me out! I understand that photos will "go missing" if you move the original file but this started occurring immediately after import. I go through import as normal, everything looks good, but as soon as I remove the SD card the photos go "offline or missing". Does anyone know why this might be happening?

I THINK it may have started right after I upgraded my MAC system the last time.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Probably you've inadvertently set the SD card as the target drive in the Destination panel in the Import dialog. So, when the SD card is ejected, Lightroom can no longer "see" the images and reports them as "offline/missing". You can confirm this my looking in the Folders Panel, where you should find an entry for a folder on the SD card with a "?" mark to indicate it's missing.

If that's the case and you haven't yet reformatted the SD card, suggest you right-click on the missing folder, select remove, then redo the import but making sure you specify a different destination folder.

It would also be a good idea to consider setting up an import preset to make sure this doesn't happen again.

In addittion to what Jim has said ... make sure that you are not using the Add option at import stage if importing from cards..

upload_2016-9-1_9-34-3.png

In addittion to what Jim has said ... make sure that you are not using the Add option at import stage if importing from cards..

View attachment 8194

You can't. That option is disabled when you import from a memory card.

If Lr detects it as a card reader it will not allow Add, but some card reader devices may be recognised by the OS as external drives. I have such a device.

I mention this just as a precaution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back