• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Missing edits , incorrect folder structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

davon100

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi
Can anyone explain when I download photos from cameras card into a FOLDER on an external hard drive , do I need to use the same FOLDER for completed edits , or can I make a new folder on the same hard drive for finished edits . ?
Ive had problems with photos going missing .

Thanks
David

You do not need anything for edits. It is a common misunderstanding that you would need to 'save' your edits somehow, for example by exporting the edited photo. You don't. Edits are stored as a 'to do list' in the catalog and they are saved constantly. You only export a photo if and when you need it for something outside of Lightroom, so for example when you want to send a jpeg to somebody or place it on your website. Then you export the photo as jpeg, place it on your website and delete the jpeg again from your computer, because you can export a new jpeg (with different settings if need be) whenever you need one.

Thank you , interesting .
Just to confirm I import the photo , do edit and that's it . Don't even need to save .

That's it. When you come back to that photo, all the edits will be there.

Hal is absolutely correct. But, let me add to his comments. Those changes or edits you do in LR are saved instantly and automatically in the LR catalog but not in the image file itself on your hard drive. So, for example, if you import image A in LR and make a bunch of changes to it, those changes are memorized by LR so the next time you look at that image in LR you will see it with those changes. However, if you look at that image using something other than LR you will see your original, unedited, photo.

This is not a problem unless you want to share the edited image to someone or something else. For example as Hal mentioned, sending the image to someone or uploading it to some website or social media. In this case use the Export function in LR to create a temporary copy of the image (usually in a different folder such as "To Email") and send or upload that copy. Once sent or uploaded, discard the copy to conserve space and reduce confusion later.

One last point, Be sure to back up both your LR catalog (as that is where all your hard work is stored) and your original images. When you exit LR it periodically asks if you want to back up the catalog. It is good to do this. However, this does not back up the original images. The backing up of original images is up to you - outside of LR.

Hal is absolutely correct. But, let me add to his comments. Those changes or edits you do in LR are saved instantly and automatically in the LR catalog but not in the image file itself on your hard drive. So, for example, if you import image A in LR and make a bunch of changes to it, those changes are memorized by LR so the next time you look at that image in LR you will see it with those changes. However, if you look at that image using something other than LR you will see your original, unedited, photo.

This is not a problem unless you want to share the edited image to someone or something else. For example as Hal mentioned, sending the image to someone or uploading it to some website or social media. In this case use the Export function in LR to create a temporary copy of the image (usually in a different folder such as "To Email") and send or upload that copy. Once sent or uploaded, discard the copy to conserve space and reduce confusion later.

One last point, Be sure to back up both your LR catalog (as that is where all your hard work is stored) and your original images. When you exit LR it periodically asks if you want to back up the catalog. It is good to do this. However, this does not back up the original images. The backing up of original images is up to you - outside of LR.
Good wise info , thank you Califdan . I will do this .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back