• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Missing collections / Where are them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you be a bit more specific? How do you move the images? If you do it correctly, then the collections should not change.

Can you be a bit more specific? How do you move the images? If you do it correctly, then the collections should not change.
Thank you Johan ! :)
I have moved the files within LR. That is why I do not understand where they are gone.

Sorry, but you really have to be as specific as you can be. Describe what you do step by step, perhaps illustrated with one or more screenshots. Right now I don’t even know if you use the word ‘collections’ for the same thing that Lightroom does.

Thank you again Johan. Let me be very specific, then.
The photos herewith show what I have done.
I think one can not trust Collections as they are not imported with the *.xmp files.
However, as you can see in my screen capture, the Smart Collections work perfectly.
Now I must rebuild my Collections or upload my old drive, Synchronize it then export the Collections into the other drive ! Too much work !
I am dropping Collections and use keywords instead.
What do you think Johan ? Am I missing something ? Thanks ! :)

i-tM9hrFH-X4.jpg

First of all: do not use ‘Synchronize Folder’ in situation likes this!! That menu is for importing new images that are in a folder that Lightroom already knows. There is no reason why you would have to use this after moving a folder. And secondly: if you ever think you do need to use it then check the option to show the import dialog. You will want to see what Lightroom is going to do!

Something strange is going on here. When you move the folder ‘2017’ from one disk to the other, you move 1899 images inside it. That obviously takes time. In your second screenshot you see that the 1899 images were copied, but in your third screenshot they suddenly are gone and the folder seems empty! The reason is probably that you have unchecked the ‘Show Photos in Subfolders’ menu. The images are not in ‘2017’, but in one or more subfolders. That is why they do not show (in your second screenshot they show briefly because the actual process is not finished yet). Your first screenshot seems to confirm that. The ‘2017’ folder also showed zero images before you copied it.

I think that your ‘Synchronize Folder’ action messes everything up. It imports the 1899 images as new (and probably moved them to the parent folder), and removed the original catalog entries. That is why they disappeared from collections they were in.

Thank you again Johan for the reply :)
The third SC (screen capture) was done after I moved the folder to the new drive.
What should have I done if the photos were not showing, but to Synchronize the folder ?
You are right when you say "...The images are not in ‘2017’, but in one or more subfolders..." as my structure of photos goes like this
i-8hpDtQZ-L.png

But let me ask you please: What are we supposed to do to keep Collections in a new drive when the old one crashes ?
Back-ups keep all this information ? OK, OK I must go and read about this stuff !
Thank you so much !
Have a nice 2021 with Heath ! (Health is the best "thing" one can have) :)

The third SC (screen capture) was done after I moved the folder to the new drive.
I know, but that is the odd thing. The folder should show 1899 images, not zero! I thought that it showed zero images because you had 'Show Photos in Subfolders' turned off, but this new screenshot suggests otherwise. I don't understand how you can lose 1899 images just by moving them to another disk, unless you did something else you didn't tell us.

But let me ask you please: What are we supposed to do to keep Collections in a new drive when the old one crashes ?
Collections are just lists. Like playlists in a music player or in Apple iTunes. They only exist inside the Lightroom catalog, so you can't "keep collections in a new drive". You just need to backup your catalog regularly.

I think you have to address the real problem first. The real problem is not collections, but that some of your folders show zero images even though they do contain images. And when you move such a the folder to another drive, it appears to really lose the images. That looks like catalog corruption. There are several reports about folders showing zero images. One thing you could do is restore your catalog from a backup that was made before the problems started. Because you have saved settings to XMP, you could also create a new catalog and import all the images again. You will lose collections and virtual copies, but those can be recreated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back