• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Missing camera profile on SOME photos after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

YewChenToronto

Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 10.4 (Camera RAW 13.4)
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I just upgraded from LR6 to LRc. Yay!

I installed LRc and then double clicked on my old LR6 catalog to "import" that catalog. All went well. In fact, I am impressed by how well everything transferred over.

However, in checking my "portfolio" of select photos from the last ~12 years (~5 Nikon bodies), I noticed that some of them looked different because they were missing the camera profile.

Interestingly, photos shot the on same day using the same camera, some are missing the profile while others are not missing the (same) profile.

What's going on here? And, how to fix it so that all photos that are missing profiles can get one? (Related question: how can I search my entire catalog for all photos with a certain profile?)

FWIW, this is a brand new installation of LRc and PS on a new computer.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 6.09.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 6.09.22 PM.png

To troubleshoot this:

1. Select one of the photos that shows Profile Missing.

2. Do Metadata > Save Metadata To File.

3. Upload the photo and its accompanying .xmp sidecar to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar, and post its sharing link here.

We can stick it under the microscope and see what might be going wrong.

I am working on sharing a link. (That's not something I have done before.)

Meanwhile, this seems to be the relevant part of the .xmp file.

crs:CameraProfile="Camera Neutral"
crs:CameraProfileDigest="C63E2D6F3CB0A21F463D3E8CC7E6EB08"
crs:MissingCameraProfile="Camera Neutral v4"
crs:MissingCameraProfileDigest="7453B3B4E044C00997A55C30D2002AEF"
crs:LensProfileSetup="Custom"
crs:LensProfileName="Adobe (Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR)"
crs:LensProfileFilename="NIKON D3X (Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f4G ED VR) - RAW.lcp"
crs:LensProfileDigest="52862343A814248E62830EC33E40465A"
crs:LensProfileIsEmbedded="False"
crs:LensProfileDistortionScale="100"
crs:LensProfileVignettingScale="100"
crs:HasSettings="True"

In LR 6 you had set that photo to have profile named "Camera Neutral v4". I checked my LR 6.14 (Windows) and LR 10.4 (Mac), and there is no built-in profile with that name for the Nikon D3X. Did you create this profile yourself at some point or did you get it from a third party?

Rather than uploading the .nef file, simply attach the entire .xmp file to your reply here using the Attach Files button. Also, select a photo that shows Profile: Camera Neutral v4 but not Profile Missing. Do Metadata > Save Metadata To File and attach its .xmp file as well.

Ah, problem solved. I think.

I do have “Camera Neutral v4” on my computer. Adobe put it there. As it should. However, there are many versions of “Camera Neutral v4”. They are camera specific. Who knew that camera profiles are camera specific. :p Doh!

I have two presets that called for “Camera Neutral v4”. When I changed cameras, I didn’t change the preset to call for the correct, camera specific, “Camera Neutral v4”. This problem (“missing” profile) quite likely predated my upgrade to LR Classic. I just didn’t notice it.

Thanks John for pointing me in the right direction.

Glad you got it sorted.

There are Camera Neutral v4 profiles for these cameras:
1634402182045.png

but not the Nikon D3X.

In later versions of LR, the Presets panel will show a preset italicized if it contains a camera profile that's not applicable to the camera of the current photo, e.g.

1634402419647.png

I think prior versions inapplicable presets simply didn't appear in the list, but LR would still let you apply the preset by copying it via a batch copy of settings (Copy/Paste Settings, Sync, Auto Sync, Library > Quick Develop).

I never had the Nikon D3X. I am not sure why the LENS profile in my Xmp file says, "crs:LensProfileFilename="NIKON D3X (Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f4G ED VR) - RAW.lcp"" Right lens, wrong camera.

Who knew that camera profiles are camera specific. :p
Poking into this more, I realized I oversimplified my response. So for reference by future readers:

When you copy the Profile setting from a source photo or a preset to a target photo, and the profile is a camera profile (.dcp file), just the displayed name of the profile is copied. So if you create a preset from a Nikon D700 photo with Profile: Camera Neutral v4, when you apply that preset to any other photo, it sets the photo's profile to the name "Camera Neutral v4". LR then looks for a camera profile (.dcp file) specific to the target photo's camera with the same name, "Camera Neutral v4". If no such camera profile exists for that camera, LR displays "Profile missing".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back