• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV and Web? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! New cameras (including the Canon R5/R6), lens profiles and bug fixes, and the ability to disable built-in lens corrections for specific new cameras. Here's the usual list

Migration to Lightroom from Classic failed, I think

fbx33

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic version: 9.2.1 [ 202004070813-7699d98a ] (& current version Lightroom)
Operating System
macOS 10.15 Catalina
Sorry to bring up this must-be-tiresome problem, but I have about 28,000 photos in Classic using about 150 GB on disk. I started a migration from Classic to Lightroom day before yesterday. In doing this I did not have enough room on my Macbook Pro's internal SSD to make copies of all photos, so I added an external SSD with 500 GB free (newly erased and reformatted to current Mac OS), and set that as the site for the copies of my Classic photos to be placed en route to Lightroom.

I just checked after 48 hrs or a little less and the external SSD has 1.5 GB of space used, i.e., next to none of the 150GB of full size pictures are being moved to the external drive in 48 hours.

Thus I conclude that my "migration" has failed and I must do something different if I hope to actually get the pictures migrated from Classic to Lightroom.

Note #1: I already have "smart previews" in Lightoom of most of the pictures. Don't know if this has any effect on migration.
Question #1: How to I CANCEL the previous migration and start over, if this is most effective response to situation?
Question #2: Wouldn't it be easier just to copy/export the 28K of Classic files to the external HD and then IMPORT them from the external SSD into Lightroom online?

Please help here as I seem to have hit wall.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
What shows in Lightroom? Is the migration dialog still showing?

fbx33

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Nope. Whole thing is belly up. 3500 missing photos that I don't have, I mean that weren't missing as far as I know, showed up when I checked missing photos in Classic, and I'm in process of reinstalling Classic and reimporting all photos from local backups. Obviously I made some mistake without noticing. But all is well. I have plenty of backups (Time Machine, daily local, Backblaze, and about 6 on SSDs dating from Jan 1 to present). So when I get done I'll be back where I started and ready to try again.

The 27002 below is real number of known photos, the 33, 962 is phantom number that turned up after I aborted the migration. They appear mostly as blank gray rectangles in the thumbnail view.

Unless you have a better idea, I figure to delete Lightroom and Classic, and start over from scratch.Import into Classic, then try to migrate to Lightroom. See where that gets me. Plenty of time in these unfortunate corona days.

Thanks for the interest, and cheers--

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 090209.jpg

Last edited:

fbx33

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Further to above, if it's useful--
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 090806.jpg

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Unless you have a better idea, I figure to delete Lightroom and Classic, and start over from scratch.Import into Classic, then try to migrate to Lightroom. See where that gets me. Plenty of time in these unfortunate corona days.
That would be a very bad idea. If you start from scratch, you lose all your edits. And if you start from scratch, there is no reason to first import into Lightroom Classic and then migrate. Importing directly into Lightroom would make more sense in that case.

fbx33

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Thx, I may do that. For the present I have deleted Lightroom and reverted to Classic using a 3-day old CCC backup of the whole drive, copying over just the Pictures folder Seems to work ok. There are duplicates here, however. Easy enough to fix, I guess.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Nope. Whole thing is belly up. 3500 missing photos that I don't have, I mean that weren't missing as far as I know, showed up when I checked missing photos in Classic, and I'm in process of reinstalling Classic and reimporting all photos from local backups.
Stop!!! Reinstalling Classic is fine, but don't reimport. If Lightroom says those 3502 photos are missing, it still has all your edits but doesn't know where you put the photos.

Clean up your catalog and then think about migration.

fbx33

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Thanks. Whole problem moot now as I've eliminated Lightroom and reinstalled the whole "Pictures" folder from a four day old backup, before all this started. Going to settle down and try to forget about it all for a while.