• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Migration and Person Keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyE

Lightroom Version Number
Non classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
  2. iOS
I’m going to finally migrate from classic this weekend and I have been sorting out my catalogue as per the migration guide.

It seems person keywords will be migrated across as keywords into non classic but I’m not sure I want this as they may clash in whilst searching

I intend to continue to use classic, running on an old Mac mini that I use as a server post migration so I can continue using publishers and smart albums (at least for now)

So (finally getting to the question)
I am going to get my catalogue to the point of migration readiness, and optimise.
Stop classic, backup the catalogue.
restart and delete all person keywords.
Start non-classic and initiate the migration.
.... enjoy my weekend
Then when the dust has settled . Restore my classic backup (pre person cull) and start it.

I can’t see a problem with this but wondered if I was missing anything ?

Hi Jeremy

To give some proper answers, I would just question:

- are you changing plan away from the Photography Plan to the Lightroom Plan? If so you'll lose Classic. If not then you'll only have 20Gb of cloud store (although you can upgrade at cost)

- dependent on the answer to the above, which is to be your main repository of photos?

- what is the objective? (not saying any change of Lightroom is wrong, just to understand what you're looking to accomplish!)

Another question: having "restored" the Classic catalog with the deleted Person Keywords, do you intend to carry on syncing that catalog with the cloud? If so, that might be a bad idea.....migration is intended for those users who are transitioning from Classic to the cloud system, and has been designed with that in mind. In my own testing I ran into issues when attemting to re-sync a migrated Classic catalog.

I'm also somewhat confused by your intention to delete the Person Keywords before migrating, not really understanding your reasons for doing that. Seems rather extreme to me.

Hi Jeremy

To give some proper answers, I would just question:

- are you changing plan away from the Photography Plan to the Lightroom Plan? If so you'll lose Classic. If not then you'll only have 20Gb of cloud store (although you can upgrade at cost)

Ohotog

- dependent on the answer to the above, which is to be your main repository of photos?

Cloud

- what is the objective? (not saying any change of Lightroom is wrong, just to understand what you're looking to accomplish!)

basically simplifying my home storage, cross device syncing works great for me, I’ve been running an experiment for about a year where I keep this months and and last months originals in the cloud but classic as the master

Another question: having "restored" the Classic catalog with the deleted Person Keywords, do you intend to carry on syncing that catalog with the cloud? If so, that might be a bad idea.....migration is intended for those users who are transitioning from Classic to the cloud system, and has been designed with that in mind. In my own testing I ran into issues when attemting to re-sync a migrated Classic catalog.

yes I intend to keep it synced mainly to use publishers and re-sync some smart albums as albums via a plugin.
But yes I have found on oddity (see additional

I'm also somewhat confused by your intention to delete the Person Keywords before migrating, not really understanding your reasons for doing that. Seems rather extreme to me.

yes I could have just deleted them post migration but I thought pre prep would be better.

Thanks for all the comments.
I enacted the plan and all was good and all my originals were uploaded by this morning .

I replaced the pre keyword drop catalogue and restarted classics , and it updated the cloud counts so all good,

one oddity is it has added 537 additional photos to ‘all photos’ but they all seem to be virtual copies.
Only managed a quick look but I can’t see the connection between the photos, and as far as I can tell, the virtual copies are identical to the originals.
So I’ll try deleting some as a test and see what happens.
A lot of my preparation was for nothing though.
I had completely forgotten that a large amount of my photos had a tonne of keywords from when I moved from photos to lightroom .
So I now need to clean these up anyhow.
That aside the migration was a success.

If the classic sync continues to play up, I’ll shift the masters and a copy of the catalogue to some long term storage and start classic from scratch

Can’t check now as out but believe it was in the official migration guid via adobe.com
That may have been some time ago then, before they added the People feature to Cloudy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back