• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

migrating without enough cloud storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Booth

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 3.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm going to migrate a catalog of about 80k photos from Classic to Cloudy. I had to switch plans temporarily (from LR 1TB to Photography 20GB) so that I could use Classic on the computer in question to fix a "missing photos" issue in the catalog. Classic won't be used in future, so I'm going to switch back to LR 1TB but for Adobe is not allowing me to switch back yet (assuming there is a minimum delay when switching between plans... anybody know?)

So my question is: can I go ahead with the migration (and store originals on the local compter), knowing that after 20GB of uploads to the cloud the uploads will stall until I manage to change the plan back? And when I change the plan back, will the uploads to the cloud resume?

Did you look at your Creative Cloud account after making the change to see what it reports as your storage limit? I am not aware of any delays, but I have not changed plans (although I did have a second "free" 2-month plan overlay on top of my regular plan).

--Ken

A 1TB Lightroom Only plan should seem to be all that you need. Install Lightroom on the same computer as your Classic Catalog file and image files. Use the migrate function in Lightroom on the computer to migrate (one time) the Classic catalog adjustments out of the catalog and the 80k original photos to the cloud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if when I migrate I only have the 20GB, and switch to 1TB in a week or two, will this create trouble from a sync point of view?

When you switch to 1TB, you won’t have LrC, but you will have the LrC catalog file and original images. Install Lightroom and when you have the 1TB, you can migrate the old LrC catalog file and images to Lr in the cloud. You don’t need LrC app to migrate, Just the catalog file and the original image to get sync’d to the cloud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I got that, what I'm wondering is what might happen if I migrate before I get sufficient cloud storage back. Will it just stall uploads of originals to the cloud, and resume once I get enough storage, or is it going to mess with the migration in such a way that things will be broken afterwards, even after I get the cloud storage that is needed to hold the whole catalog?

Yes, it will stall uploads and then resume. Delaying the increase in storage will only cause problems if you decide to do other stuff that might confuse any migration that's still pending. Only you can know what kind of things you might decide to do during that period, but for example, you might move or rename files as part of the effort to fix missing files, and I would except a pending migration to be confused if files are no longer where it thought. But that's only a guess, and people don't test all the weird things people try to do. Personally (though I don't care for Cloudy) I would only take one step at a time, for instance fixing missing files first, then migration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back