• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Migrating to new iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resoman

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lr Classic CC 9.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Around the first of November, I upgraded my iMac to Catalina and the results have been disastrous. Since the upgrade, the computer will spontaneously shut itself down, and sometimes try to restart itself. I've spent many hours on the photo with Apple support, reinstalled the OS twice, run diagnostics on the hard drive, etc. with no improvement.
So, I bought a new iMac, hoping for a quick migration; it was not to be. Multiple attempts using the Migration Assistant failed when the old computer just shut down in the middle of the migration. After a few of these attempts, the new iMac would no longer run!
I've reinstalled Catalina on the new iMac, and have been advised by the Apple tech to use the target disc technique - hold down the letter T while starting the old computer and its hard drive becomes accessible to the new computer without actually starting the old computer's OS. I've finally acquired the necessary adapters and cables (Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt3) and am preparing to move files from the old to the new.
My Lightroom installation is very important to me, and I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding specifically what I transfer to the new computer. My image files are on external drives; I don't need to move them.
Any thoughts will be appreciated!
Gary

I have a recent backup of my library, it's the actual app that I'm asking about. I've heard from one source that I might be better off with a clean install of LR & PS direct from Adobe, rather than transferring. the apps from the old iMac.

I've heard from one source that I might be better off with a clean install of LR & PS direct from Adobe, rather than transferring. the apps from the old iMac.
The Apps yes, I would install them from the Adobe CC app. But the catalog you have to transfer from the old harddisk or from a recent backup.

Currently there are more than a few incompatibilities between Catalina and Lightroom Classic.
Advice from here is don’t upgrade MacOS beyond 10.14.6 (Mojave) until Apple and Adobe get their act together. Bothe MacOS and Lightroom Classic are at the dot zero release.

I think for now you will be happier if you run the latest Mojave with any version of Lightroom Classic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back