• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Migrating shenaningans

Status
Not open for further replies.

JensM

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LRC 8.3.1 on the current machine. The earlier copy on the cloned disk may be a slightly earlier version but on the 8 mains
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I should have remembered I was a member here as well as downloaded the "ALR-Moving to a new computer" before eagerly doing everything wrong in the installment process, so a few musings if I may?

Is it feasable to just uninstall everything and start over?

I have the original disc from the old pc, and a mirrored copy with the original content, somewhat untouched, other than importing the cataloge file and such. It also contains the LR installation from the old machine.

I am thinking that much of the trouble stems from not paying enough attention to the process in the first place, installing the CC fresh from the web as I have a subscription and had only installed it on one machine from earlier. Doing that and just letting the machine/program choose where to put stuff seems to have been my undoing, swiftly filling the C disk (a 128GB SSD to the brim) and not builiding up the D drive (1 TB) as I in my incompetence didnt steer it to.

So after some not very casual swearing, hot flashes and stuff, I managed to get the pictures somewhat moved to D, but actually I didnt. They still remain on the cloned Segate passport called E, but have some sort of ghosting thingy going on in the D drive, where I think there are a cataloge, and atleast some full picture files and a quite a few previews as well as some sort of duplicated files due to me trying to get things right.

Even if it is working, sort of, I would very much like to get a smoother installation, with the Program itself, possibly the catalog file(not 100% sure I understand how that one works) on the C disk. All pictures on the D disk from now and out automatically imported there, be it from the SSD card or from the back-up disks, as well as getting the back up stuff onto two 1 Tb Passports I have.

Even though I have manged to adding insult to injury, I must say the upgraded machine was well worth it. I have never experienced such smooth runnings of LR as I have now. Butchered transfer or not.

Hints/Tips/Step by steps and reasonable amounts of ridicule, all gratefully accepted. :)

Hi Jen, sorry your post slipped off the radar. Have you made any progress on this?

Hi Victoria, havent pursued it any further but thinking about it, it shouldnt do any harm as I see it?

I'd start with the first question... which version do you actually want to be using? Cloudy or Classic?

Classic, I have both installed but will most likely uninstall the cloud one and do run the android app version on the phone with variable success.

In that case, as long as you're happy you have backups, then yes, probably easiest to undo what you've done so far and start over. No need to uninstall the apps (well, maybe Cloudy) but clear out the data and put it back the right way. That's likely easier than untangling the slight confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back