• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Migrating Capture One 2022 catalogs to Lightroom Classic 2022 catalogs on a MacBook Pro M1 Max/Monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancy Goodenough

Photographer
Premium Classic Member
Under the Redwoods in Northern California
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic v11.5
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I am returning to LR after trying Capture 1 for 3 years with 44k images.

I also have a huge LR6 catalog with 500k images on external drives. I just got a MacBook Pro M1 Max running Monterey. Apple has made Rosetta in Monterey such that it won't run old Mac applications like LR6 on an M1 machine. And C1 does not play well with large catalogs, much less 500k images.

Therefore, I bit the bullet and have installed Lightroom Classic and Photoshop on the new machine.

I seem to be going against the flow... I can google and find plenty of instructions helping migrate catalogs from LR to Capture One, but nothing going the other direction, coming back to LR from C1.

I have two jobs to do:

1. Get 44k images that are in Capture 1 catalogs into LR Classic catalogs.

Will any of my adjustments, variants (I double it), ratings, color-coding, collections, albums move over from C1 to LR Classic?

Googling the subject just shows me how to migrate in the reverse direction, from LR to C1. Avalanche will be coming out with a C1- to-LR application, but now only has LR-to-C1. I've looked thru the Missing FAQ book as well as the free books and couldn't find info about catalogs from other programs to LR Classic. I may have missed it.

Interim plan is I'll keep C1 22 running on the new laptop so can access what I need from any of the adjusted images and do LR Classic and/or PS work from TIFs I would create in C1.

If no adjustments, etc will move over, perhaps I just start from scratch and do a clean import of the images from the disk into LR Classic since the images are in the dated hierarchy I want? Or try to export catalog from C1 and import to LR Classic? Or is there a process I am missing?

2. I now know it'll be easy (thanks, Johan Elzenga) to get the 500k images on external drives that were running under a single LR6 catalog on an old desktop into a LR Classic catalog on the new MacBook Pro by clicking on the old LR6 catalog file now on the new machine, LR Classic will take over and convert to the new catalog, and then I'll need to Find Missing Folder, probably by my year hierarchy. I assume most/many of the LR6 adjustments, virtual copies, collections, ratings will move over. I use sidecar files.

Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Nancy Goodenough

You're not missing anything. There are no automated tools such as conversion of C1 catalogues, and LR won't pick up any C1 adjustments. Does C1 even save xmp files, I'm not sure, but you should check this yourself if you have been adding ratings, keywords, captions etc in C1. Variants would not be picked up by LR even if they are written to sidecars. So you would be doing a clean import of the 44k, and I'd suggest you should narrow that number down to a precise figure so you can check that everything other than variants has arrived in LR.

On the Lr6 catalogue, open it in Classic and it will be converted as you have gathered. Sidecar files will be irrelevant. Fix any missing files problem by pointing missing folders to their new location, and don't use Folder Synchronize.

I am returning to LR after trying Capture 1 for 3 years with 44k images.

I also have a huge LR6 catalog with 500k images on external drives. I just got a MacBook Pro M1 Max running Monterey. Apple has made Rosetta in Monterey such that it won't run old Mac applications like LR6 on an M1 machine. And C1 does not play well with large catalogs, much less 500k images.

Therefore, I bit the bullet and have installed Lightroom Classic and Photoshop on the new machine.

I seem to be going against the flow... I can google and find plenty of instructions helping migrate catalogs from LR to Capture One, but nothing going the other direction, coming back to LR from C1.

I have two jobs to do:

1. Get 44k images that are in Capture 1 catalogs into LR Classic catalogs.

Will any of my adjustments, variants (I double it), ratings, color-coding, collections, albums move over from C1 to LR Classic?

Googling the subject just shows me how to migrate in the reverse direction, from LR to C1. Avalanche will be coming out with a C1- to-LR application, but now only has LR-to-C1. I've looked thru the Missing FAQ book as well as the free books and couldn't find info about catalogs from other programs to LR Classic. I may have missed it.

Interim plan is I'll keep C1 22 running on the new laptop so can access what I need from any of the adjusted images and do LR Classic and/or PS work from TIFs I would create in C1.

If no adjustments, etc will move over, perhaps I just start from scratch and do a clean import of the images from the disk into LR Classic since the images are in the dated hierarchy I want? Or try to export catalog from C1 and import to LR Classic? Or is there a process I am missing?

2. I now know it'll be easy (thanks, Johan Elzenga) to get the 500k images on external drives that were running under a single LR6 catalog on an old desktop into a LR Classic catalog on the new MacBook Pro by clicking on the old LR6 catalog file now on the new machine, LR Classic will take over and convert to the new catalog, and then I'll need to Find Missing Folder, probably by my year hierarchy. I assume most/many of the LR6 adjustments, virtual copies, collections, ratings will move over. I use sidecar files.

Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Nancy Goodenough
You could try this:
https://cyme.io/avalanche-for-lightroom/

Merak75 may have the solution. I've heard from others the Avalanche works for the Photos app. and I would expect that have successfully tested with Capture1.
To touch upon John Beardsworths comment about XMP files. Capture1 adjustment stored in an XMP file would nt be recognized by Lightroom as a valid process unless they both use the exact same name for the process (e.g. "Brightness =40")
Try Merak75's suggestion. If it works suitably for you then you are better off than any alternatives.

I did use this app to move a macOS Photos Library to a Lightroom catalog. I haven’t heard any complaints from my wife so it must of worked.

Thank you, all! Last year I bought Avalanche for Capture One when I thought I would move that half million catalog of images from LR6 to Capture One since LR6 won't run virtualized on Rosetta on an M1 Mac under Monterey. I hadn't downloaded it yet as I contemplated how I would proceed. Then I decided to just move back to LR and do the subscription. (It wasn't price that I didn't go subscription, as the photography package is a fantastic deal compared to what I'd paid for LR and PS over the years, but concern for access to past adjustments, wanting to be sure 'the paint is always wet' as I frequently go back to decade-old images and continue to rework them. I know I will continue to have access to the Library Module if for some reason, Adobe no longer is around or if it drops LR Classic.)

I thought I read that Avalanche for Lightroom from Capture One wasn't available yet, but yes it is now. I've downloaded the trial and will try with the hundred image catalog that Avalanche for Lightroom allows. I'll report back. Many thanks, Nancy

I just tried out the trial (max 100 images) for Avalanche for Lightroom on one of my Capture 1 catalogs converting to LR Classic catalog. First view is that I'm quite satisfied as C1 variants came over as individual 'copies' and showed the adjustments on each in LR Develop. I haven't done a deep dive yet, nor compared the resulting images, but it's way more than starting from scratch. Yes, ratings, color coding, and even Collections came over! This is very good. I'll buy it tomorrow and do a full version.

Thanks, Merak75! And Avalanche.
Nancy

Let us know how you get on with the full version Nancy. I was thinking of adding Avalanche to the book for importing from Photos, but if it works well for C1, it'll be worth adding that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back