Migrate Aperture project info to Lightroom ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinky

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi,

In Aperture I can add a description to a project so I know what the project is about. I haven't found anything like that in Lightroom. Does anyone know if it is possible to add a description to a LR folder ?

No, but it's better to use keywords anyway. A folder is just a container for images, not an organization tool.

No, but it's better to use keywords anyway. A folder is just a container for images, not an organization tool.
Thanks for answering. Keywords are used for a totally different purpose than a description of a project/folder. Keywords are great for identifying individual photo's in different ways. An Aperture project or LR folder, though, normally contain a coherent set of pictures taken at a certain occasion and in Aperture I used the project info to describe that occasion, so I later remember why I took the photo's in the first place.
Anyway, I will now use the OSX folder comments field instead

I understand your point, and usIng the OSX folder info is indeed a good option, but if you want to be able to see that kind of information in Lightroom itself, I would still consider non-exporting keywords. In the synonym you can add that description, so the keyword itself can remain simple, like the project name you used in Aperture.

That is certainly an option worth considering. I will give it a try and see what will suit the job best. The comments field of an OSX folder is limited in size (probably 256 char's or so), which will normally suffice, but not in all cases. I don't know if such a limitation exists for keyword synonyms, but I'll see. Thanks for your suggestion.

Mmmm, looking at this I don't think it will be suitable for my purpose. There are a couple of problems related to non exporting keywords. First of all, you don't see them in the keywording window (which is a problem in itself, because you cannot tell if such a keyword is applied to a photo or not). Secondly I cannot assign keywords to a folder, only to a photo.

Dinky,

Lr does not contain the concept of "projects" like Aperature. Lr approaches organization in a completely different fashion. I would suggest starting with Victoria's free eBook to get the basics and then ask questions from there. (Free Adobe Lightroom Quick Start Guide PDF eBook)

Dinky,

Lr does not contain the concept of "projects" like Aperature. Lr approaches organization in a completely different fashion. I would suggest starting with Victoria's free eBook to get the basics and then ask questions from there. (Free Adobe Lightroom Quick Start Guide PDF eBook)
Don't you think that's a pretty patronizing answer ? It's a perfectly legitimate question, whatever "fashion" is used.

Mmmm, looking at this I don't think it will be suitable for my purpose. There are a couple of problems related to non exporting keywords. First of all, you don't see them in the keywording window (which is a problem in itself, because you cannot tell if such a keyword is applied to a photo or not). Secondly I cannot assign keywords to a folder, only to a photo.

You do see non-exporting keywords in the keyword window! They are just not added to the metadata when you export an image from Lightroom. You do not see the synonym (but you can search on synonyms). You can't assign keywords to a folder, only to the images inside that folder.

You do see non-exporting keywords in the keyword window!

Let's clarify that. You CAN see non-exporting keywords in the Keywording panel, but it depends on what you have the pop-up at the top of the panel set it.

Don't you think that's a pretty patronizing answer ? It's a perfectly legitimate question, whatever "fashion" is used.

Not really, but I am a rather sarcastic individual. But you keep trying to apply concepts from Aperture to Lr. Until you understand how Lr works and designed to be used; you will bang your head against the wall.

In Aperture I can add a description to a project so I know what the project is about. I haven't found anything like that in Lightroom. Does anyone know if it is possible to add a description to a LR folder ?

Lightroom collections are more analogous to Lightroom projects, and you'll tend to use more standard IPTC fields (eg Job) than in Aperture. Lightroom's Folders are more about physical folders on your hard drive, like having
Aperture's Reorganise Masters as part of the main UI.

That said, there's no feature to add notes to folders or collections. The closest thing might be Jeffrey's "Folder Status" Lightroom Plugin .

John's right; projects were Aperture only things while a folder in Lr is essentially a folder in the Finder. I would like to see a notes feature too, both for images and for collections (I am leery about using them for folders within Lr however, since they wouldn't apply to the folders outside of Lr in the Finder).

And the comments field in Aperture was always kinda lame in that it wasn't readily visible and IIRC not searchable.

For individual images you can use the Instructions field in metadata. It's standard, visible outside Lr, and easy to use. But individual. You could add info to each image that's the same of course, and that has the virtue of being safe. Like "crop these so the telephone pole is eliminated and make sure the GPS metadata is deleted if they get published." But that doesn't suit as well for say a folder (better: collection) of disparate images, with like "pick the best one for BW treatment and edit out all but Bruce's face if it's in it, and be sure to include some with his wife, but make sure they're not in the same set with shots of his girlfriend."

For collections and folders I have done this workaround. After import I always have an image I'm gonna delete. So I rename "_index image" or something (that will sort first by filename; I might even change the capture date if I wanna get fancy but usually not). I often label it and/or change it to BW so it stands out. Then I use the IPTC instructions field and caption to add info like the kind you're describing. For me, being able to associate this collection with other non-image files was key, so sometimes I included a file url in the metadata too. Essentially this "image" is all about its metadata and not the picture (I kinda swiped the idea from a plugin that turned text into a jpeg you could read in Lr, only using metadata instead of the picture of text).

This also kinda fit into what I do to take notes in the field; I'd take a short video with audio and then import that into Lr along with the images, and that video would have info I'd use for the same purpose. I'd prefer a better solution (I now use Evernote, but it's got issues too). Saving PDF notes is great if you use Bridge.

BTW, I'm trying to get the developer of GhostNote to support notes IN Lr. It does in Ps: you can add a note to an open Ps document, and that note will then also be visible from that document in the Finder. Add your voice and demo GhostNote if you agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back