• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

metadata question

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanL

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
classic cc 7.3.1
Operating System
this is something that has frustrated me - under metadata you see File Name, Copy Name, Folder, Metadata Status, Title, Caption.

in caption, for some reason lightroom has decided that i want "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" to be entered on EVERY photo - i have looked high and low for the place to get rid of this, have made a preset, but it is still there and i have to manually erase it from each and every photo, or it appears when, for example, i post a photo from lightroom to Facebook.

could someone please enlighten me as to where this "caption" entered in the metadata on all photos so that i can get rid of it once and for all?! thank you!

I think you might find that it is being added by your camera. As my role as Digital competition secretary at Southampton Camera Club I get to see quite a few images and as far as I remember all the one shot on Olympus cameras have what you are seeing in the Caption box.

Yep, Olympus have been doing that like forever (my first digital camera was a C2000, 1998 vintage, and that did it as well).

However, it's easy enough to get rid of....I use a copyright Metadata preset either on import or just after, and I erase that text from the Caption field via that preset....make sure there's nothing in the Caption field in the Metadata preset, and make sure you check the Caption field box, that will then apply the blank contents to the Caption field, thus erasing the Olympus text.

bingo - thank you! i don't know why i didn't see that when i set up my preset. it is fixed now!

As it was said before, it's definitely not Lightroom adding that caption but rather Olympus adding it in camera. The easiest way to get rid of it is to create a metadata preset which deletes the caption and then have it automatically applied at import. That's how I solved this problem.

the key, if someone else ignorant like me should see this thread, was to put a check mark in the empty caption box - i was looking for the line where it "said" OLYMPUS etc., rather than the box itself. once i added the blank caption box to the preset it was gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back