• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Metadata Presets

Status
Not open for further replies.

rctneil

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hey,

Due to recently changing my email address I have updated it in my metadata presets. How can I find all the photos that use a certain preset?

You can't search on email address or preset. Any other identifying data though? Or could you just sync solely your new email address across everything?

So, If I alter a preset, I take it any photos using the preset do not get updated?

Hmm, Not sure what to do really.

Correct. Presets are just a way of resetting sliders, or in this case, metadata fields.

Tell us more?

So, If I alter a preset, I take it any photos using the preset do not get updated?

Hmm, Not sure what to do really.
You can create a new (and temporary) metadata preset that sets only the metadata "Creator E-Mail" field for your email address. Select all images the "All photographs" Special collection and apply this in the Metadata panel preset field. It will replace any previous entry in that "Creator E-Mail" field and leave any other metadata field unchanged.

This will update your selected existing images. If you have other existing metadata presets that include "Creator E-Mail" field, you will need to update them so that the field will be correct on all future imports.

Cletus is right.
This is very easy to fix.
An obviously, looing forward just include the new information in the metadata preset.

Tony Jay

You can create a new (and temporary) metadata preset that sets only the metadata "Creator E-Mail" field for your email address. Select all images the "All photographs" Special collection and apply this in the Metadata panel preset field. It will replace any previous entry in that "Creator E-Mail" field and leave any other metadata field unchanged.

No need for the temporary metadata preset for this -- just select all and update it right in the Metadata panel.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am slowly making my way throguh each of my directories and re applying the metadata. I know it will take a short time but I want to do it this way to make sure I get to everything and then I know all the metadata is correct and up to date as at the moment, some things have metadata applied and some don;t so it will be a nice thing to do to keep things consistent.

But please forward my suggestion of being able to filter by Email to the LR devs.

The bit I don't get is why you'd need to filter by email - unless perhaps you use different email addresses for different types of shots, or something like that?

The bit I don't get is why you'd need to filter by email - unless perhaps you use different email addresses for different types of shots, or something like that?

Sure, I might do that. I have one domain for my portrait/headshot work, and another for fireworks. Sean and Rikk have multiple domains too. Based on that small sample, I bet it's not rare.

LOL Thank you Brad, yes indeed!

Yeah, I can imagine there are cases where I'd use multiple email addresses too, but I'm just wondering if we might be able to find a quicker search path for rctneil in the meantime too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back