• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Metadata Preset Only Partially Showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 10.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I've succeeded in upgrading from LTR 5.7 to the Lightroom Classic subscription version 10.2, and have transferred everything to a new desktop. I created and saved a Metadata Preset containing Keywords, Caption, Copyright status, Copyright details (My name, plus "All rights reserved, no MR available, etc."), and a Rights Usage Terms field with that same info minus my name. On importing new images (saving as DNG files) I see that the Caption field is empty, the Copyright Status shows as "Unknown", while the Copyright field contains only my name and none of the additional words, and the Rights Usage Field is empty. Keywords showed up as they should. The file name, file size, dimensions, and all the camera data are there correctly. There must be something I have overlooked doing. Everything worked fine in the LTR 5.7 I have just left behind. All files transferred from the old catalog show all data as they should. It's only the newly imported images that have the empty or incomplete data fields. Suggestions welcome.

Can you show us a screen shot of your Preset?

Or better, post the preset here. Go to Preferences > Presets and click Show All Other Lightroom Presets. That will open Mac Finder / Windows File Explorer with the folder "Lightroom" selected. Open the subfolder "Metadata Presets", find the offending preset file (a .lrtemplate file) and open it in a text editor (Mac Textedit or Windows Notepad). Copy and paste its contents here. Alternatively, attach it to your reply using the Attach Files button in this forum (not sure the forum will let you, though).

Before I saw the second reply I made these screen shots. I hope they will serve the purpose, if they aren't too large. I notice also that in the Contact field (IPTC Creator) only my name appears, but none of the other data entered in the Contact field in the Preset, in addition to the missing entries noted in my first message.
Metadata-1, 04.14.21.jpg
Metadata-2, 04.14.21.jpg
Metadata-3, 04.14.21.jpg
Metadata-4, 04.14.21.jpg
Metadata-5, 04.14.21.jpg
Metadata-6, 04.14.21.jpg
Metadata-7, 04.14.21.jpg

Or better, post the preset here. Go to Preferences > Presets and click Show All Other Lightroom Presets. That will open Mac Finder / Windows File Explorer with the folder "Lightroom" selected. Open the subfolder "Metadata Presets", find the offending preset file (a .lrtemplate file) and open it in a text editor (Mac Textedit or Windows Notepad). Copy and paste its contents here. Alternatively, attach it to your reply using the Attach Files button in this forum (not sure the forum will let you, though).
Sorry I didn't see this before I had copied all those screen grabs below. On opening the Presets tab in Preferences I noticed that the box titled "Store Presets with this catalog" was not checked. Could that be the problem? (Even though I clicked "Done" when I set up the new Preset, just before uploading a new batch of images.) In any case, here is the Notebook data after opening the lrtemplate file:

id = "0634509B-9026-4DA0-BD1E-6FA24E416AC0",
internalName = "Basic Creator Data and Copyright",
title = "Basic Creator Data and Copyright",
type = "Metadata",
value = {
["com.adobe.caption"] = "Alexandria, Virginia Garden Shots.",
["com.adobe.city"] = "",
["com.adobe.copyright"] = "© Charles O. Cecil. All rights reserved. No reproduction of any kind without prior authorization and payment. No model or property release exists. User accepts liability for any claims alleging improper or offensive use.",
["com.adobe.copyrightState"] = true,
["com.adobe.country"] = "",
["com.adobe.creator"] = "Charles O. Cecil",
["com.adobe.creatorAddress"] = "4318 Louis Place",
["com.adobe.creatorCity"] = "Alexandria",
["com.adobe.creatorCountry"] = "USA",
["com.adobe.creatorState"] = "Virginia",
["com.adobe.creatorWorkEmail"] = "[email protected]",
["com.adobe.creatorWorkPhone"] = "703-402-8108",
["com.adobe.creatorWorkWebsite"] = "www.cecilimages.com",
["com.adobe.creatorZip"] = "22304",
["com.adobe.dateCreated"] = "",
["com.adobe.isoCountryCode"] = "",
["com.adobe.keywords"] = "garden, Virginia",
["com.adobe.location"] = "",
["com.adobe.modelReleaseStatus"] = "",
["com.adobe.propertyReleaseStatus"] = "",
["com.adobe.rightsUsageTerms"] = "All rights reserved. No reproduction of any kind without prior authorization and payment. No model or property release exists. User accepts liability for any claims alleging improper or offensive use.",
["com.adobe.state"] = "",
uuid = "2ECA11A3-6EE3-442E-94D9-DFD24031509C",
},
version = 0,
}

I copied the contents of your preset into a preset in my catalog, and it worked correctly. Looking at the contents and the screenshots, nothing seems suspicious about the preset.

On opening the Presets tab in Preferences I noticed that the box titled "Store Presets with this catalog" was not checked. Could that be the problem?
It's not the cause of the problem. In general, most users shouldn't have that option set -- it just causes confusion. (When the option is set, each catalog has its own set of presets, and changing a preset for one catalog won't change it for another.)

Since you got to the presets folder via Preferences > Presets, we know you got to the right folder where LR is currently storing your presets.

I don't have any strong hypotheses about what's going wrong. You might try creating a new preset and re-entering all the fields and using that as your import preset.

I deleted the previous import and the old preset and re-entered all the data, saved it, then did two test re-imports. Everything worked fine this time. No explanation. Thanks for the time you spent on my inquiry. Hopefully it was a one-time fluke and won't recur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back