• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Metadata presence: In Catalog, In XMP, In Export

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuzzinbrucie

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: Windows 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Lightroom Classic version: 7.0.1 [ 1142117 ]

Just recently reminded of two LR catalog settings that can be checked under the Metadata tab. "Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, etc., and Automatically write changes into XMP." I checked both of these when I first started importing photos into LR. Given that both of these have been active since day 1:

1) Does this mean if I copy JPGs from my LR folders to a non-LR folder that the copies will have all the current metadata changes that were applied in LR as well as all of the develop settings having been applied?
2) How would the copy created in item 1 differ from a "copy" made using LR Export?

1) Yes and no. The metadata will be in the files because of automatically writing changes into XMP, but the develop changes will only be the instructions for changing the image, not the actual changes to the image.

2) See answer to #1. Also, on export, you have a choice of what metadata is included.

1) Yes and no. The metadata will be in the files because of automatically writing changes into XMP, but the develop changes will only be the instructions for changing the image, not the actual changes to the image.

2) See answer to #1. Also, on export, you have a choice of what metadata is included.

Hal,

My understanding is that Export will copy all metadata values (unless excluded) as well as apply all develop settings, especially cropping, to the copy. Is my understanding correct?

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back