Metadata Not Transferring to iView MediaPro

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DavidWebb_uk

Hey Guys.

First post here but i think this is the best place for my confusion.

I'm an old windows user who has moved to Mac and brought Lightroom (can't afford legal photoshop at the moment) and I'm currently trying to clean up the kinks in my workflow, which is.

1) ImageIngester(Free) to import, rename and backup my CF cards.
2) Lightroom, Select, Edit, Re-Select, Export to DNG
3) IVMP3, keywording and exporting the DNGs to web galleries etc etc.

Now I'm falling over between steps 2 and 3. Because allthough all my edits are making it to the DNGs my star ratings aren't. And star ratings are very important to me.

There is discussion regarding turning on autosaving of xmps and (i'm in a diff catalog atm so can't check my settings) how that affects the edits you make but if when i export to DNG the edits are included (no matter if i created an xmp or not) why aren't the star ratings included... Or am i missing something?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I don't know Windows applications but what you are doing seems way to complicated. I do all three processes in LR. Simplicity works for me.
I think it would be an application (IVMP) problem in not reading the LR written info probably

You could be right that the workflow could be slimmed down, but i prefer ivmp3 to LR for keywording and final selection.

To be honest I don't think its a problem in ivmp3. It is quite a resiliant bit of software. When LR has finished with this catalog I will try and narrow down as to when LR saves the stars and when ivmp3 can read them.

Way to test whether the star ratings are being written to the DNG's properly is simply to look at them in Bridge. If Bridge can see the stars, then the problem is with iView not reading them. If Bridge can't see the stars, we need to look at Export settings.

And welcome to Lightroom Forums David!

I'll PM you my FTP server details - drop one on there and I'll check it for you David.

Interesting picture!

Ok, stars don't show up in Bridge, so we definitely need to be looking at LR.

Just run through the order in which you do things...? Are you exporting to DNG before you star rate them? A screenshot of your export settings might help actually.

I've just tested exporting to DNG (I don't use DNG very often) and exporting starred files does export the stars. And DNG's which are already in the library as DNG need a Cmd-S to write any changed metadata to file.

I've just tested exporting to DNG (I don't use DNG very often) and exporting starred files does export the stars.

Please hold on!
I have both iView and LR and I do export DNGs to iView every day.
The stars are always present in iView, *but not the labels*!
So I have tested it again right now.
The procedure I have just done:
1-) Choose the RAW starred files.
2-) Rate them.
3-) Comd+S (export to XMP)
4-) Export to DNG and open in iView.
Stars are all there.
Attached are the screenshots.
I hope it helps!
:roll:

Hey Guys. Thanks for the replies (for some reason i'm not getting emailed updates to this thread).

The files are star'd in their CR2 state and then exported to dng... One thing I'm not doing is the command-s.

I wonder why Victoria's got stars and mine didn't?

Victoria I'm not sure about the Export Settings pane your talking about but apart from a change in folder name its exactly the same as the export settings that come in LR.

Thanks again for helping with this. Due to this quirk I've got over 1''' photos sat on my NAS ready to be keyworded with no star ratings.

1''' pictures... definitely a problem we want to fix then!

Can you post a screenshot of your Export Dialog, as you have it set when you export to DNG. (You know, this one - except not with these settings, as this was a previous screenshot for something else!)
export-2''7'7'4-'75'13.jpg

4''d8329-f'18-414c-9'dc-d3ab'4acbe'5_efbec751-b43d-425b-b192-cb4f6'abcf12_static_'_'_'''''''7.png

Probably a little big but you get the idea :)

Problem is the orginals aren't in my catalog anymore. I got ahead of myself. I'll just have to sit down and restar them. It should be easy they'll be the ones with edits ;-)

Looks perfect to me. I can't see what's going wrong. Might be worth trying with a few more and see if it recognises the stars (before you delete them this time! ;))

:lol: yeah thats the danger of being so complacent. Oh well live and learn.

I've got some more to convert so will do those now and see if I get stars or not

David,

Did you read my reply with the attachs?
Selecting the RAWs, Comd+S and exportig to DNG seems to solve your problem.
Doing this way it keeps the stars in iView.
Hope it helps,

I don't understand why Control-S would have any effect. Does the conversion ignore the settings in the database, only reading the sidecar XMP data? That seems odd to me.

Mark, perhaps I am going to say a big stupidity.
But I will be brave: If DNG is a "wrapper", accepting Tiffs and JPGs, it needs a XMP (either separate from the file or embedded in it), right?
So it should behave the same when it "wraps" a Raw file. I don't really know if LR uses the Adobe DNG Converter, but it would expect a XMP for modified RAWs, no?
Am I nonsensical about it?
:cheesy:

Hey Clicio, Thanks I did see your reply and definitely cmd-S ensures the stars are kept when the conversion to DNg takes place.

However as with Mark I would have thought that if LR can include any edits in the DNG without a save to xmp taking place why can't it take the star ratings.

It just seems like an extra step we shouldn't have to be taking.

I think we need John Beardsworth in this discussion ... he has a VERY good handle on all this iView to LR and back again stuff.

Victoria ... does Beardy stop by here?

He is a member, but doesn't seem to stop by often. You could try PM'ing him though Butch.

Too busy recently messing around with Flash....

I've heard of something similar happening to someone on a PC laptop, so it may be there's a bug. I didn't believe him though! If you applied the stars to the CR2 files, exporting should apply those ratings to the exported DNGs - inside them too, and definitely not as XMP sidecars. You didn't "minimize metadata" in the Export dialog, have you? I think that would suppress them.

If you then change the DNG files' ratings inside LR, CmdS works like Action > Sync in iView and writes the ratings into the files. You'd have to do an Action Sync within iIVew and prefer the original file.

John

Nope i made sure to untick minimise metadata when i found out it stripped exif data from jpgs. (not good)

Cheers for popping in John. I need to do some more tests to make sure its repeatable and then I'll submit a bug report to adobe if its required. Thanks again

Assuming I understand your process, I think this is a bug.

You're using "Convert Photos to DNG..." under the Library menu, right?
And the resulting DNG only includes the star ratings if the XMP has been written?

Sure sounds like a bug to me. It's getting the ratings out of the original/sidecar file, but not getting it out of the catalog database.

I've just tested on the Mac using a single NEF file that had no metadata and no XMP file. I used Lightroom and iView 3.1.3. All I did was this - I imported the NEF into a new catalogue, applied a star rating, exported it as a DNG, imported the DNG into iView - ratings were present.

John

Yup. and Yup. This last one is what i need to verify. Which I'll do over the weekend and report back.

We crossed over... Yup if yours works i need to double check what i've been doing and make sure it isnt user error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back