• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Metadata Lightroom Plugin

FlashGordon

Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. macOS 11.0 Big Sur
  3. iOS
  4. Android
Family History Metadata Working Group (FHMWG.org)

We have created a metadata specification for the Family History market and are looking at how to make it compatible with Adobe Lightroom.

If this is an area of your expertise, please get in touch with me.

Gordon Clarke

FamilySearch Developer Relations

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Welcome to the forum Gordon. So is it a plug-in developer you're looking for? @johnbeardy or @johnrellis are probably the guys for the job.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
We have created a metadata specification for the Family History market and are looking at how to make it compatible with Adobe Lightroom
This is an exciting concept (at least for my wife who is into Genealogy). However, I think you have some challenges. The following are some observations and thoughts which I hope you take as as review rather than a criticism.

A challenge I can see is your premise of "This recommendation makes use of XMP, a standard produced by Adobe for storing RDF/XML in image metadata; and IPTC, which provides one of the more popular RDF vocabularies for XMP." Personally, I already use a lot of these XMP/IPTC fields as part of the metadata branding of my photos. In other words, people like me are not likely want to adhere to your standard for a mixed catalog of genelogy and non-genealogy photos. A lot of these XMP tags are already exposed and used on Lightroom Classic.

A notable exception is Album however. Here you seem to veer away from your original premise to also supporting the Metadata Working group definition for collection. Unfortunately, the MWG looks to now be defunct which was trying to fix, as your group pointed out, "...thousands of metadata fields in the use in the wild today...". So while the XMP Album tag relates to album art, the MWG Collections map to non-XMP tags unique to MWG.

A big problem is that MWG specifications seem to have disappeared off the internet except for archive copies. I have not heard of anything taking up MWG's work or acquiring it's IP.

So, while I believe your concept has great merit, I would suggest you simply need to create your own namepsace (sorry) for your use. At the same time, this could then support links to non-photographic documents which I know need to be maintained.