• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Metadata info not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesley.stagg

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. macOS 10.15 Catalina
  3. iOS
Hey everyone. I recently got a Nikon D850 and during setup I setup the copyright info on the camera to have my info. When I import from the camera into Lightroom cloudy, I don’t see the copyright (and Author) info in the information tab. If I pull the raw file into classic, the copyright info shows correctly. It also seems that cloudy will overwrite that info even though I can’t see it. Is this just the way cloudy works ? Or is it specific to the way this camera writes metadata

You may want to view all your metadata in the NEF file to try and determine which fields are being displayed where. I use EXIFTOOLGUI.

Photo METADATA is a mess IMHO . Here are the fields related to copyright I found at Guide to Photo Metadata Fields | Photometadata.org. Actually, this site is missing the basic 'copyright'. When you drill into each, you can see which metadata schema each is stored under.

Copyright Notice
Copyright Notice (of Artwork/Object)
Copyright Status
Copyright Owner (PLUS)
Copyright URL

You will also find a similar problem with metadata displayed by Windows about images.

Hey Paul,
Thanks for the reply, you are right it does seem like a mess. It seems like letting Lightroom apply the copyright at export is the cleaner way to do it since it appears to not show that info from the camera and once you apply any metadata info in Lightroom it overwrites whats there.

In my case, I started with assigning basic metadata to my pictures before using LR. I use EXIFTOOL and a Windows BATch file (yes, I'm old) to perform assignment (attached as TXT). This is when I started to understand the mess that was metadata.

I've been trying to find the tags Windows uses in it's display. I suspect it may be the more limited metadata that is on JPG. FYI, it looks like LR either follows a convention or changes what metadata is assigned based on the file type.

Also, be aware, LR does not export MAKER metadata from the manufacturer or at least not in a way that can be easily read if that's important.

Attachments

• basicmeta.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 204
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back