• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Metadata in Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedz

Perry Smith
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I have a Mavic 2 Pro which takes photographs and videos. If I take a photograph and import it, it has a metadata attribute of Camera and a value of L1D-20c (not sure why but at least it is unique). But when I shoot a video and import it, that field is gone. My problem is I now have more than one drone as well as other sources for videos and, so far at least, it seems to be consistent that the "Camera" or "Model" is not entered.

Questions:

1) Can videos have a Camera or Model keyword?
2) How can I add the Camera or Model metadata attribute after the import? If I just switch to the different templates (Default, EXIF, ...) I don't see any with Model or Camera. I believe it is part of EXIF but I guess if it isn't filled in, it doesn't show up to be added? Or am I missing something?
3) How can I add the metadata during import? I see web pages describing making templates which I can do but thought there might be an easier way.

Thank you in advance!

The common video formats are governed by different standards (not EXIF), camera manufacturers aren't always very good at following the standards, and LR makes only a quarter-hearted attempt at reading video metadata. The camera model may or may not be embedded in your DJI videos. Finally, LR won't let you change the camera model field (or any camera or exposure information for videos or photos).

A couple of options:

- Add the information manually to a field you don't otherwise use, e.g. User Comment, Title, or Headline.

- Use the Exiftool utility to add the camera model before you import the video, e.g.

Code:
exiftool -quicktime:model="MyCamera" test.mp4

LR will display the Quicktime:Model field in the Model field of the Metadata panel. (Note that you can't use the handy Capture Time to Exif plugin to set the Model field of videos, because that plugin relies on LR re-reading the metadata of the changed file, and LR doesn't re-reread video metadata.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back