• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Metadata handling after face tagging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwarf4ever

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 11.4.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello
i have been practicing with face tagging, and find it very powerful. I have thousands of images in hundreds of folders to sort. If I add the main folder, AllMyPuctures, which includes all the sub folders, then do all the face tagging, as they are 90% family and the people repeat is very high, how can I save the metadata to the individual files, within their respective folders ? I hope this can be done, because if I export them with metadata, i think they will all go to the same folder……hope there is an option for what I need

thanks

"People" is a keyword and named Individuals are assigned as a hierarchal child keyword to the parent "people" keyword. When exported, the derivative file has a keyword field containing all of the keywords including named individuals. The IPTC metadata contains a field: "10.30 Person Shown in Image". I am not sure if Adobe even populates this field when a derivative file is created on export.

"People" is a keyword and named Individuals are assigned as a hierarchal child keyword to the parent "people" keyword. When exported, the derivative file has a keyword field containing all of the keywords including named individuals. The IPTC metadata contains a field: "10.30 Person Shown in Image". I am not sure if Adobe even populates this field when a derivative file is created on export.
From my research since posting it seems it’s very easy to write the metadata to the files

Select as many images as you want in grid view then "Save Metadata to disk". You can also set an preference to do this automatically as changes are made.

Thanks, haven’t got my PC with me, but does t it say say save metadata to files ? Unless there’s a disk option, need the metadata written to the original files in the same folders as they are in, I think that’s what happens, will have a practice later

Yes, that's what happens.

Yes, that's what happens.
Having problems, When i export, al the metadata is correct in the File TAGS, but when I click on save metadata to file, it does nothing. I cant use the export function as many many fies in numerous folders and the export option simply exports individual files regardless of source folders, so need the save metadata to files to work, any thoughts why its not happening ? i am in grid view after face tagging is complete, i do select all, Metadata save to file, and ok

Saving metatadata to the files is not part of the export funciton. Depending on the options selected in the export dialog box, all, some or none of the metadata (as well as the file type being created by the export) is included in the sported file.

Save metadata to files is a seperate thing. It's on the "metadata" menu in the Library module It copies metadata from the catalog to the image file on disk for those file types where this is allowed and for proprietary RAW files that don't allow it, it places the metadata in a seperate file with extension ".xmp" in the same folder as the image file itself and with the same file name (other than the extension). So Canon RAW file IMG_123.CR2 woud get a small file called "IMG_123.xmp" in the same folder and that small file would contain the metadadata.

When you execture the "save metadata to files" command it just starts a background task to perform the operation. Other than clearing the "metadata mismatch icon" on the grid cells you would not perceive that anything has actually happened unless you open one of the images in some other SW that knows to look for XMP files. For example Adobe Bridge or Photoshop (not envoked from LrC).

Saving metatadata to the files is not part of the export funciton. Depending on the options selected in the export dialog box, all, some or none of the metadata (as well as the file type being created by the export) is included in the sported file.

Save metadata to files is a seperate thing. It's on the "metadata" menu in the Library module It copies metadata from the catalog to the image file on disk for those file types where this is allowed and for proprietary RAW files that don't allow it, it places the metadata in a seperate file with extension ".xmp" in the same folder as the image file itself and with the same file name (other than the extension). So Canon RAW file IMG_123.CR2 woud get a small file called "IMG_123.xmp" in the same folder and that small file would contain the metadadata.

When you execture the "save metadata to files" command it just starts a background task to perform the operation. Other than clearing the "metadata mismatch icon" on the grid cells you would not perceive that anything has actually happened unless you open one of the images in some other SW that knows to look for XMP files. For example Adobe Bridge or Photoshop (not envoked from LrC).
Hello
the files are TIFF and jpg, what I need is the face tag metadata to be written to the source files, seems little point in tagging all the photos, if this can’t be achieved. The export function does indeed have an option to save all metadata, which works well, but export groups all files into a single folder, there is an option to export to the source folder, bit that doesn’t seem to happen.

if I can’t find a way to do this in LR as it stands, I could use a plug-in, which duplicates the folder structure during an export, I’ve installed the plug in, but no idea how to use it Yet

i was so excited about how easy it is to tag faces in LR, bit if I can’t write the metadata to the source files somehow, I’m left with the plugin as my only option.
thanks

Export creates new files into a single folder and those files may or may not include metadata depending on the options selected in the export dialog

Menu "Metadata -> Save Metadata to files" saves all catgalog metadata to the original files either inside the file itelf for most non propriatary RAW files or as a seperate side car file with extension '.XMP" for propriatory RAW files.

Export creates new files into a single folder and those files may or may not include metadata depending on the options selected in the export dialog

Menu "Metadata -> Save Metadata to files" saves all catgalog metadata to the original files either inside the file itelf for most non propriatary RAW files or as a seperate side car file with extension '.XMP" for propriatory RAW files.
With respect, we don’t need to discuss RAW files i have jpg and tiff only. Also I export with save all metadata option, the problem is losing the original folder hierarch.
as I said selecting all and metadata save to file p, does not save any metadata to any files, in particular I need the face tag metadata saved to the files.

if the plugin is my only solution Jeffrey Friedl, Folder Publisher plugin. , I’ll have to find out how to use it once installed.

Sticking to Jpg's,...

After some experimentation, it seems that face regions are not included in the metadata saved with files during export even if all metadata is selected and hyou haven't checked the box to (although they should be) nor is face region informaton included when metadata is saved to image files.

So, I don't know of a way to get Face Regions assinged in LrC to be available through data outside of using the LrC catalog and program.

On the other related question, Jfriedl's Folder Publisher plugin will place your exported images into a folder structure that mimics that shown in LrC's folder panel. I have used this plugin without issue. I didn't test but strongly suspect that it too would not contain Face Regions.

Hadn’t even thought about face regions, would be lovely if that was saved with the metadata, I actually thought it was, but that’s something for later.

Addendum, Even though Face Regions are not included in exported or saved metadata, if you identify a face in LrC (create a face region), it manifests itself as a keyword of the persons name. Those keywords will export and be saved with metadata to the files, just not what portion of the image that name corresponds to.

Been struggling with metadata save to file, as it hasn’t been working, even though export did, in hind sight that should have been a clue, can’t write to file, but can create a duplicate…
Hello, I have solved the problem. I was having problems displaying the picture image as a thumbnail, I was getting just an icon image. This has only started happening recently, possible since I installed Lightroom. However the icons do flash for a split second with the thumbnail image then go blank. I researched this phenomena, and was suggested to look in her registry under Jpg, to check I was authorised, when I opened it I saw the word Sage in there. Then I remembered installing sage to be able to see psd thumbnail images, which I don't think ever worked. Possibly sage and Lightroom have clashed ‍♀️ and I have now uninstalled sage, the thumbnails are back to normal, and metadata save to file WORKS.....so that's amazing news, don't really need to go through the export with the plug in now, unless I need extra features that publish has. All I need to do now is find the setting that protects the date picture taken stamp on the file, as don't want that overwritten.

thanks so so much for all the help

UPDATE seems to be working now, Believe it was my USB socket on my PC, tried to several files on my HDD and the metadata save to file works....as LR doesnt verify if the metadata is writen or not, maybe using usb devices for this task should be avoided, could be an intermittent issue. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back