Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
LTR 5.6
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
“Metadata corruption” probably best describes my problem, but I’ve also received a “LTR encountered an error when reading a catalog file” warning.

I’m using LTR 5.6, working in Windows 10 on my PC. I keep one backup catalog folder on my desk top and another on an external hard drive. I alternate between the two backup folders when saving, which I usually do every time when shutting down. There are about 180,000 images in the catalog. The image files are on an 8TB EHD, with duplicate backups on other smaller EHDs.

The last couple of weeks LTR began to operate very slowly. This was annoying but everything still worked properly.

I installed a new 10TB EHD December 31. My plan is to use my old “Masters” 8TB EHD as my backup drive, with the 10TB drive being the new “Masters” home. Prior to copying from the old to the new drive I made additional backup files on other drives, drive-to-drive, not via LTR.

I now have the following problems when I export images from the “old” Masters to the new, or import from one of the other backup drives:
--the caption field shows up empty. Not in every image file, but in most.
--captions were also deleted from the source files being exported
--keywords from another image in another folder that I had previously exported have replaced the keywords for almost every image in the current folder being exported. Again, not in every image, but in most.
--most other metadata (photographer, place, copyright, etc) also disappears
--or some combination of corruption, i.e., some keep their correct caption but acquire keywords from the image in the folder previously exported.
--everything proceeds very slowly. “working” appears in the keyword box for half a minute or a minute before any data appears in any of the fields.

In addition it appears that when making the additional backup files I may have left insufficient room on the EHD that also holds the LTR catalog backup. Last night when backing up I received a warning that LTR was unable to backup the catalog, and telling me to make sure I had available space on the drive. There were 56 GB of space available. Since each backup folder takes about 4GB I thought 56 would be more than enough, but maybe not for some reason.

As if that weren’t enough, I decided to take one more look at LTR before sending this. When I clicked to open I got “LTR catalog named “Lightroom 5 Catalog” cannot be opened because another application already has it opened. Quit the other copy of LTR before trying to launch.” But no other application was open, not PhotoShop or anything else except my Microsoft Office email. So I turned the computer off and rebooted.

Clicking on LTR I got “The last time LTR ran, it shut down prematurely due to a problem reading the catalog. LTR must now check the catalog before proceeding.” It then checked integrity. It then automatically opened but within 20 seconds or so I got “LTR encountered an error when reading from its previous cache and needs to quit. Will attempt to fix the next time it launches.”

So I’m not sure where to start or what to do to solve these problems. Help would be very much appreciated, and in layman’s language. Many thanks. Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back