• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Messy presets situation in Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom75

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
CC Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi All,

I have in my LR Classic for some reason a little messy presets situation.

some presets are located here:
Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / Lightroom / Develop Presets /

some are located here:
next to the catalog, inside a Lightroom Settings folder

some are here:
Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw /

and some presets I am not able to locate or find at all!

What is the reason for this mess?

Is therea way to clean this up or restructure it so that all are in the same location? Like this its quite difficult to have an overview.
I dont want to mess up or loose anything thats why I am asking how to do this?

Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom

The ones stored next to the catalog are where at some point (perhaps now still) you ticked to store presets with the catalog. If that's ticked then it copies them to that location (and uses them for the catalog that it's ticked against)

The other two locations are correct - main one is the Develop Presets one you mention, the other (CameraRaw) are for ones that are shaed with Camera Raw. Details on these latter two and the usual location for other files are on the backup blog:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/backup-lightroom-files/

Thanks for the information so its basically not possible to cellect them all in one place?

Anyway I am still "missing" some presets that are shoing up in my Classic but I cant find them in any of the above locations, when can those be?

Regards,
Tom

Correct, LR organizes the way it wants to (but be sure to back them all up!)

What sort of presets are you not finding? If you open Develop, then Presets in the left hand pane, find one you can't find in the locations mentioned, then right-click one option is to show in Finder / Explorer - this should help solve the mystery!

Perfect I will do that for finding them, that was very useful information.

I have some user presets that are for some reason not stored in the same locations as the others.

Regards,
Tom

Hi again,

I managed now to locate and import all the presets I wanted to have in my CC apps.

I found out that some of them were simply not showing up in the apps before I checked off the checkbox for "hide partially compatible presets". What does that mean in reality that they are only partially compatible?

Regards,
Tom

The other two locations are correct - main one is the Develop Presets one you mention, the other (CameraRaw) are for ones that are shaed with Camera Raw.
Just to clarify this one a little further, the Develop Presets folder is legacy. That contains/contained the old lrtemplate format presets, which were all converted to the new XMP format in the shared Camera Raw location around April last year. So the contents of the Develop Presets folder is just leftover cruft at this point.

I found out that some of them were simply not showing up in the apps before I checked off the checkbox for "hide partially compatible presets". What does that mean in reality that they are only partially compatible?
Presets can contain settings that only apply to raw files, like camera profiles. If you apply those presets to JPEGs, you won't get the same result, so those are considered partially compatible.

And even when using raw files you could get a partially compatible preset warning....if for example you have a preset which applies a specific camera-matching profile and you open a raw file from a different brand of camera.

Thanks a lot for the information, its getting clearer.

I have now also noticed that when I crossed off the partially compatible checkbox in the desktop version of LR CC on my imac then all the presets were showing but as you say only when trying to edit a RAW file so its solved now thanks again a lot

Regards,
Tom

Just to clarify this one a little further, the Develop Presets folder is legacy. That contains/contained the old lrtemplate format presets, which were all converted to the new XMP format in the shared Camera Raw location around April last year. So the contents of the Develop Presets folder is just leftover cruft at this point.
I'm glad I found this thread!

If the Develop Presets folder (at /Users/me/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop Presets is legacy and no longer used (mine is empty), can I delete the folder so I don't confuse myself some time in the future?

If the Develop Presets folder (at /Users/me/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop Presets is legacy and no longer used (mine is empty), can I delete the folder so I don't confuse myself some time in the future?
Yes, you could

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back