• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Merging/selecting multiple masks at the same time? Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

studio_2

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi friends
I’ve tried but cannot find a way to merge or at least select multiple masks after creating two or more.
Say I created a mask of two separate people is there a way to select both for the sake of adding more changes to both at the same time?

Thanks!

What you want is a single mask with multiple components (or selections) rather than multiple masks.

Each Mask can only have one set of adjustments. And local adjustments are applied at the mask level.

However each mask can have as many comonents as you wish. The components are used to identify the pixels which are to be affected by the adjustments. So, for example, a mask could have 3 components, one for each of 3 people and all 3 people would get the same adjustments. Or a mask could have a Select Subject component and also a Brush component to add in some area that the select subject missed.

What you want is a single mask with multiple components (or selections) rather than multiple masks.

Each Mask can only have one set of adjustments. And local adjustments are applied at the mask level.

However each mask can have as many comonents as you wish. The components are used to identify the pixels which are to be affected by the adjustments. So, for example, a mask could have 3 components, one for each of 3 people and all 3 people would get the same adjustments. Or a mask could have a Select Subject component and also a Brush component to add in some area that the select subject missed.
Thanks I need to wrap my head around this

Say I created a mask of two separate people is there a way to select both for the sake of adding more changes to both at the same time?
Yes, sort of. Each "mask" can contain one or more "mask components". All components within a mask get the same adjustments. (As Califdan has written above.) You can combine mask components - for example:
  • In Mask 1, right-click on one of the mask components (or hit the three dots menu) and click on "Copy" (or hit Ctrl-C or the equivalent Mac shortcut).
  • In Mask 2, right-click (or hit the three dots) on one of its mask components, and click on "Paste" (or Ctrl-V).
Now, Mask 2 will contain the two mask components which were previously in separate masks. However Mask 1 will still contain its copy of the component, so either delete that component from Mask 1 or delete all of Mask 1 (assuming you don't want two copies of it).

Note that when you paste the component into Mask 2, that copied component will inherit the mask settings that already exist for that mask; the original settings from Mask 1 will be lost.

Also, for some reason, copying of People mask components is not allowed, at least in my LR 12.3. If I right-click a People mask component, the Copy menu item is greyed out.

Yes, sort of. Each "mask" can contain one or more "mask components". All components within a mask get the same adjustments. (As Califdan has written above.) You can combine mask components - for example:
  • In Mask 1, right-click on one of the mask components (or hit the three dots menu) and click on "Copy" (or hit Ctrl-C or the equivalent Mac shortcut).
  • In Mask 2, right-click (or hit the three dots) on one of its mask components, and click on "Paste" (or Ctrl-V).
Now, Mask 2 will contain the two mask components which were previously in separate masks. However Mask 1 will still contain its copy of the component, so either delete that component from Mask 1 or delete all of Mask 1 (assuming you don't want two copies of it).

Note that when you paste the component into Mask 2, that copied component will inherit the mask settings that already exist for that mask; the original settings from Mask 1 will be lost.
thank you so much. very clear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back