• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Merging Keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tical

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic CC
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Dear All

In order to clean up large database, i want to remove duplicates, but before (or while doing it) i need an extra feature : merging keywords of duplicate files.
Real case :

Original : i have some pictures in a folder / collection, tagged with keywords such as “ Project, Hotel, Marrakech, 00306”
Copy 1 : i have some of these pictures (sometime same or different name, but exact copy) in another folder / collection tagged with keywords such as “ Light, Ribbon, Led, WRGB”
Copy 2 : i have also some of these pictures (sometime same or different name, but exact copy) in another folder / collection tagged with keywords such as “ Room, Suite, Dressing”

I would love to be able to merge all those keywords on a single file, when searching and deleting duplicates.
Remaining with a single of anyone of these 3 files with all keywords : “Project, Hotel, Marrakech, 00306, Light, Ribbon, Led, WRGB, Room, Suite, Dressing”

I tried PhotoSweeper as a separate program, (which is good, but no such option it seems) and plugin Teekesselchen, which does not do the job at all.

Does anybody faced the same problem ? Is there a software (Mac preferred) to do this job ?

Best regards to all.
Alexandre

I guess you are looking for a way to automate the keyword merging for which unfortunately I have no suggestions.

But if you have software to enable the identification of duplicates, then once you have found all the duplicates for any particular picture, then to merge the keywords for any given picture you would need to:-

(1) Identify which folder each copy comes from by setting a different colour label for all pictures within each folder​
(2) Put all the folders together into a collection, then ... ...​
(3) Highlight all copies of that particular picture. The Keywording box will now show all of the keywords from the aggregated copies, and will show asterisks after those keywords NOT present on ALL the copies.
(4) Then delete all the asterisks in the Keywording box. You will then end up with all copies of the photo having all of the keywords.​
(5) Delete unwanted duplicates so leaving the remaining one copy with all keywords in it's EXIF data.​

N.B.
I realise that you may be aware of all of the above actions, but that they may be impractical for you to do for the number of duplicated photos you have.
(In which case - sorry - as my response will be of little assistance)

Anyway good luck with the merging and deleting!​

Mike

I find the easiest way to add extra keywords (or merge) is to simply click the box in the Keyword List panel to show a 'tick'
So select all the photos to merge keywords, tick the boxes.

An 'empty' box = No selected photos use this keyword
A [-] in the box = Some of the selected photos have this keyword
A [tick] = All the selected photos have this keyword.

My example- 'Merge' Egret + Egret White: Place a tick in the empty box.
ScreenShot011.jpg

A long shot, but you might be able to use the syncomatic plug-in to copy the keywords to all copies of the photos (something like this) and then use a duplicate plug-in like Teekesselchen to clear out the duplicates, safe in the knowledge your keywords are preserved. @johnbeardy might be able to give us a better idea of whether Syncomatic might be able to help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back