• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Merging keywords with images

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonto

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom CC 8.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a folder of over 10,000 images which I discovered I could not open – the preview images have the little exclamation point symbol in the upper right indicating the images can’t be found. I searched my hard drive for their location, but could not find them. I then did a global import of all images on my hard drive that had not previously been imported to Lightroom and found I was able to import all the images from the missing folder. The problem now is that the newly imported images have no keywords. I would like to somehow merge the keywords from the previews of the original folder, with the actual images of the newly imported folder. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated as I would hate to have to reapply keywords to 10,000 images.

I should have added to the above post that the only problem is with the raw files and not the processed images in the same folder.

Johan:
Thank you for your reply. I can provide additional informaton. I discovered that the reason Lightroom cannot find my files is that because it had changed the filename. One example: in Lightroom a file name is 050721-untitled-0001.jpg, while on the hard drive it is 050721-0001.jpg -- pretty much the same name, but in Lightroom with 'untitled' added. How do I tell Lightroom how to find the images on the hard drive beings that it thinks they are named differently. Note that this needs to be done on a folder of over 10,000 images.

I think you only hope of a simple solution is to rename the files in the filesystem with the name that Lightroom expects. There are file naming apps that will insert "-untitled" before the last 5 characters of the file name.

You have given me one more reason not to rename files in Lightroom. Everything would have been so simple if the file name that was given by the camera had persisted through out Lightroom. IMO renaming should be a process used only on derivatives and not original image files

I think you only hope of a simple solution is to rename the files in the filesystem with the name that Lightroom expects. There are file naming apps that will insert "-untitled" before the last 5 characters of the file name.

You have given me one more reason not to rename files in Lightroom. Everything would have been so simple if the file name that was given by the camera had persisted through out Lightroom. IMO renaming should be a process used only on derivatives and not original image files
Clee,

This situation just pushed me off the fence. When I got "serious" about using Lightroom, I started to use a YYYY/MM/DD folder system for my photo files, and a file renaming system on import that started with YYYYMMDD. I have had problems already, and I still haven't imported the bulk of my backlog of digital photos. Now I'm convinced I should no longer do that.

The only issue I have is that I don't know how to link a derivative photo to the RAW original. Any suggestions?

The only issue I have is that I don't know how to link a derivative photo to the RAW original. Any suggestions?
That is what Publish Service does. If you Publish to the hard Drive Service, LR creates a Link in the service to the Published Folder and a History entry to note the publish date (and the develop state of the master image at the time it was Published.) When I name the derivative image file I always include the number suffix of the original file

That is what Publish Service does. If you Publish to the hard Drive Service, LR creates a Link in the service to the Published Folder and a History entry to note the publish date (and the develop state of the master image at the time it was Published.) When I name the derivative image file I always include the number suffix of the original file
Agreed that Publish service accomplishes this result. What if all I want to do is a simple Export?

When I have used the Hard Drive publish service, I have found it somewhat inflexible. Specifically, if I remember correctly, when I wanted to change the file size, the service asked me if I want to change the file size of photos previously published. What I would like is a series of Hard Drive publish services, with a different file size for each different service.

Phil

Simple Export is jus that “simple” and “dumb”. They are outside of LRs management unlike Publish Services

I don’t know if there’s a limit to the number of Harddrive Publish services Each can have different export parameters and destinations. I currently have 4 each with a different set of export parameters. If I want to change the file size and don't already have a Harddrive Publish service that exports in that new file size, I create a new one via "Create another Publish Service via "HardDrive"
Jeffrey Freidl has Folder publisher and Collection Publisher. Both Publish to the local disk and have added functionalityover Harddrive Publisher

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back