• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Merging files from 2 different backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovbaer

Northern California in the foothills of the Sierra
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
My files (about 150k photos() reside on one catalog. I traditionally have backed them up to 2 external hard drives. Now, it appears that through some error of mine or something that took place during a reformatting of my computer, some of the master files are on hard drive 1 and some on hard drive 2. When I plug in both hard drives, I have access to all my files, but when I open what I thought to be my main backup, I only get about 2/3 of my files.
So, the question is whether there is a simple way to combine the 2 sets of master files so that I only need to plug into one EHD.

I hope this is clear. It's barely clear to me.

My files (about 150k photos() reside on one catalog. I traditionally have backed them up to 2 external hard drives. Now, it appears that through some error of mine or something that took place during a reformatting of my computer, some of the master files are on hard drive 1 and some on hard drive 2. When I plug in both hard drives, I have access to all my files, but when I open what I thought to be my main backup, I only get about 2/3 of my files.
So, the question is whether there is a simple way to combine the 2 sets of master files so that I only need to plug into one EHD.

I hope this is clear. It's barely clear to me

Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Is your catalog complete and only one copy of it?

If no, don't read further. :)

If yes, is it that the catalog points to only one drive and the files are now on two drives, so some are missing?

I'm getting lost in the idea if both are plugged in they are all present, that seems to imply the catalog points (correctly now?) to two drives and the right two and right images?

If I'm confused, pick two or three specific images and tell us precisely where they are now, where the catalog thinks they are, or similar. It's easier to talk specifics that generics.

Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Is your catalog complete and only one copy of it?

If no, don't read further. :)

If yes, is it that the catalog points to only one drive and the files are now on two drives, so some are missing?

I'm getting lost in the idea if both are plugged in they are all present, that seems to imply the catalog points (correctly now?) to two drives and the right two and right images?

If I'm confused, pick two or three specific images and tell us precisely where they are now, where the catalog thinks they are, or similar. It's easier to talk specifics that generics.
I'm not quite sure if I should have read further or not. I'll try to explain. It's not simple.
Like many people I backup to two EHDs: A primary (EHD1) and a backup (EHD2) of the primary. All my photos exist on both hard drives.
However: about 1/4 of the files look to EHD2 to complete the thumbnail so I can work on them. If I only have EHD1 attached, I still see the thumbnail of all my photos, but 1/4 of them say that the master file can't be found. When I "Locate" the correct file on EHD1, it says that that photo has already been assigned and it won't use it. When I plug in EHD2, LR locates those missing master files on its own and makes them available to work on.

My goal is to make EHD1 my primary. backup for ALL my files, not just 3/4 of them. I would like to do this as painlessly as possible.

I hope this helps.

Ah... I think I understand.

At some point you had EHD2 in when you imported images, so the catalog thinks the masters are on EHD2.

If they are in specific folders, and your EHD1 and EHD2 are identical (i.e. there are no issues with those drives actually in fact missing stuff), you can just do this:

- Remove EHD2 from the system
- Open lightroom, locate the folders now missing, probably indicated with a question mark in the folder display
- Right click on the folder in lightroom and "find missing folder", and point it to the same location on EHD1.

Is that practical? Am I right in the speculation how it came to be?

The 3 (or younger) year old running around may have contributed to how you got to this point as well, back when it happened. But I'm sure they are worth it!

I think you are right about how the problem happened.
I will try your suggestion when I don't have a 3 year old running me around in circles---and will get back to you
Or else your workflow starts with these steps:

1. Give the kid a bath
  2. Put kid into bed
  3. Read bedtime story. Repeat as needed.
  4. Turn off light.
  5. Turn on computer and start Lightroom program.
Phil Burton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back