• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Merging Catalogs but old OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_davies

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Evening all,

I use a iMac and a MacBook Pro with the CC subscription. My intended work flow is that my MacBook will have photo's imported, synced with CC so I can edit anywhere, then eventually I will move the hard files and catalog onto my iMac, and merge the catalog.

My iMac is then the one with the time machine back-up, and all photos are in one place, thus keeping the MacBook fast and free.

I've hit a snag, in that the iMac is 2011, the Pro is 2017 running Big Sur. When I try to merge the catalog it is too new for the Lightroom on the Mac.

My question is what would you do next...

All I can think is that I take the hard files, and re-import them into my catalog in the iMac, but lose all my editing on them (not many, mostly of our new baby daughter, c.500 images), but going forward I guess I need a new plan!?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Ryan

You won't lose all the editing if you do a Cmd S and reimport the files on the iMac.

Does the iMac have the very latest version of LR that it can run? Going forward, the short term fix might be to install on the MBP the latest version of LR that you can run on the iMac. Longer term, you would get a newer iMac or see if you can work with the MBP alone, maybe with an external monitor and storage.

You won't lose all the editing if you do a Cmd S and reimport the files on the iMac.

Does the iMac have the very latest version of LR that it can run? Going forward, the short term fix might be to install on the MBP the latest version of LR that you can run on the iMac. Longer term, you would get a newer iMac or see if you can work with the MBP alone, maybe with an external monitor and storage.
Thank you.

So the iMac has Sierra and therefore has an older LRC.
The MacBook has Big Sur and is up to date.

What I have tried to do now is copy the application of Lightroom onto an external drive, and then onto the iMac, but when I try to open it it just says reading preferences and gets stuck.

I'm at my wits end I'd appreciate any thoughts people had, I can't afford to upgrade the iMac at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back